Another case of starving horses/misuse of donations

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Whoa, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

Karen did not come up with enough $ to keep these horses from going to auction. The auction was changed to a new location. It will be interesting to see who shows up to buy them.

From Facebook:

UPDATE LOCATION OF ISPMB SALE

The ISPMB sale will be held Dec 20th at the Faith Livestock Yard in Faith SD. Faith is located about 35 miles west of the ranch in Lantry on highway 212.

Approximately 550-650 horses of varying ages, some mares with foals. No geldings.

Horses are comprised of the following blood lines from these locations:

Catnip Herd: Horses originate from the Sheldon Wildlife Range (SWR) in northern Nevada.

Gila Herd: Horses originate from the Gila Bend, Arizona area and genetic testing indicates that they contain rare blood lines from the Old Spanish Mustangs in the Southwest.

White Sands Herd: Horses originate from the White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) in New Mexico.

Virginia Range Herd: Horses originate from Wild Horse Annie's Ranch.

I have been told that horses will be run through in small groups and separated if desired. I believe bidding will be by assigned number. I am trying to confirm this and get start time etc. I will post this information when I receive it.

This is a very bidder friendly livestock commission co. working with all buyers equally.

Faith Livestock will put out an add on their web page in the near future and you can get more information there.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  2. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Even if she could come up with the $24,000 she still owes, plus the money they want her to have in the bank to care for the horses, I wouldn't want to see her with several hundred horses. I can easily imagine this getting out of hand, again.

Varisha, Whoa and reicheru like this.
  3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Ditto for DT. Anyone else think that she's going to try to get her hands on the Gila herd to breed them on her property?

reicheru likes this.
  4. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Or possibly the Virginia herd to capitalize on WHA's name..... ugh

CoffeeBean likes this.
  5. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

Yikes, I just saw a poster recommend DT to transport a horse. (on hitch your horse a ride) (FB)

Do not understand who could think that is good.:(

CoffeeBean likes this.
  6. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

Interesting update:

Deal to stop wild-horse auction OK'd by all except sanctuary's leader

A deal that would have stopped the auction of hundreds of wild horses in north-central South Dakota has been accepted by all parties except the leader of the troubled sanctuary where the horses reside, according to an attorney who is participating in the talks.

Dewey County State’s Attorney Steve Aberle said a consortium of concerned organizations has offered to reimburse Dewey and Ziebach counties for the costs of caring for the horses since October, and to assume the care and feeding of the horses while trying to find new homes for them through adoptions.

Aberle, who said the consortium members wish to remain confidential, said county officials and the state Animal Industry Board have agreed to the deal, but the owner of the horses, the nonprofit International Society for the Protection of Mustangs and Burros, has not.

Aberle said a meeting was scheduled Thursday with ISPMB President Karen Sussman, but she did not show up and has not responded to the proposal.

Unless Sussman accepts the deal soon, Aberle said, the estimated 550 to 650 horses that are impounded at the ISPMB ranch on the Dewey-Ziebach county line near Lantry could be put up for sale at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Livestock. Wild-horse advocates fear that buyers for foreign slaughter plants will be among the bidders.

Aberle told the Journal in a phone interview Monday that "it would be very unfortunate" if the auction took place. “But it would be one person and one person alone who would prevent that from happening, and that is Karen Sussman, president of the ISPMB,” he added.

Phone messages left Tuesday morning for Sussman and the ISPMB’s professional fundraiser, Howard Paley — who has spoken recently on the organization’s behalf — were not immediately returned.

Sussman lives at the ISPMB ranch. After becoming the society president in the 1990s, she moved the organization from Arizona to South Dakota and changed its focus from advocacy and lobbying to the rescue and ownership of threatened wild horses.

When authorities stepped in to impound the ISPMB’s multiple herds at the ranch and take over the care and feeding of the animals in October, they counted 810 horses on the ranch’s scant and overgrazed 665 acres. The court-ordered impounding, which
    came with Sussman’s reluctant agreement, followed a finding of neglect by a state-employed veterinarian and allegations from a former ISPMB employee that some horses had died of starvation-related causes.

Since the beginning of the impounding, Sussman has parted with about 200 horses through adoptions or private sales, Aberle said. Authorities limited private adoptions and sales to 270 head because the counties wanted to retain some horses as collateral against the costs of the impounding.

7. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

JC. She is an idiot.

8. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Quoting you is my only way of liking it twice. She's not just an idiot at this point. Know what the recidivism rate is for animal hoarders? 100%.

Whoa and Varisha like this.
  9. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

That's because it's a type of mental illness, with a delusional and addicted component apparently.

Makes it not less abhorrent.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Oh, I know. A fair number of hoarders are improved when treated for depression.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Alsosusieq2 and Varisha like this.