Annoying Family Members that Need to Be Hit In the Face. With a Brick. Repeatedly.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

I don't give a flying frick about his approval. Its just really annoying that i can't go to any family functions without having to listen to him tell me everything that is wrong with me. I actually LIKE some of my other family, and i it ****es me off that i can't just enjoy being there because he has to friggin ruin it EVERY.SINGLE. TIME. Like...THANKS GARY. This is the first time ive seen these people in SIX MONTHS and you ruined the evening with your BIG MOUTH.

Arem likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You need to let it roll off you like water off a ducks back.

ginster and Faster Horses like this.
  3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Gotta love the loudmouths who dominate conversations at family gatherings with crap. They fixate on a dumb subject, usually designed to make them seem better-than, and go on... and on... and on....

Got a couple of those around. :rolleyes:
    They try my patience so bad.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

"That's great, Gary."
    "But OPINIONS! I'm right because I'm old!"
    "That's great, Gary."
    "Unsolicited advice!! Condescending nonsense!!"
    "That's great, Gary."
    "Are you listening to me?!?!?!"
    "That's great, Gary."

Works every time.

Especially effective if there is something horribly boring on tv, or the sports section of a newspaper. Gives the very clear signal that you simply don't care about his nonsense.

5. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I learned that I just dont care what people think about the $$ I spend on horses.

Everyone spends money on something others frown on. They just hide it better than a 1000 lb animal.

6. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I remember my parents asking if I was considering selling Chester in college so I wouldn’t have to work so much. Even they said it with a laugh because they knew better. I was almost offended at 17 when they wanted to pay his vet bills for me. They knew horses were just my passion and it was not my mindset to think “money wasted”. I can’t imagine the opposite. I’m so sorry you have to even listen to that.

Now my mom’s comment on my tack hoarding problem are a different story... she might be right about that but I’ll never admit it :confused:

7. slc

slc Senior Member

I always think it's better if you just stare at them and then say loudly, 'Well bless your heart!'

Don't engage the stupid.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Manes, not everyone is independent like you. Most of us have to work to gain your attitude...

manesntails likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

A better way is to simply not get emotionally involved, to not be concerned about what they say, just let them blab on and on and don't get upset about it. Most of them aren't living with you, and have absolutely no real effect on anything you do day to day, so seriously, who cares?

The tack of being hostile doesn't really work in most situations. In a very fundamental way one does not choose one's relatives, co-workers or in fact, many of the people one has to spend time with.

Arguing with them and showing a hostile attitude doesn't really make things better. Ignoring them does make things better.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Gary: Blah, blah, blah, horses, blah...

You: [Blank stare. Long pause. Raised eyebrow. Turn to Aunt Giselle.] Aunt Giselle! It's so nice to see you!

Binca, GONE ROPING, ginster and 7 others like this.