Annoying Family Members that Need to Be Hit In the Face. With a Brick. Repeatedly.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

VENTING
    Got told by an extended member of the family (a great uncle) that i spend too much time and money on my horses and that i need to give them up and be a "real adult" now.I need to go to college, and get a "real job" and stop being childish. I laughed so hard i cried. Looked at him said
    "Well Gary, lets just think on this for a minute. I have a full time job as an assistant trainer, retraining and rehabbing rescued horses that actually pays really well, i teach riding lessons three days a week, and i have several opportunities coming up to assist in teaching clinics, and being a demonstrator in said clinics. I have a steady clientele base as a colt starter as well, and i am slowly building my reputation. I am making something of a name for myself, even if it is only locally at the moment. I have two stellar horses, one is currently leased to a child (and guess what? I did most of her training myself!) and the other one is going to be a strong competitor in the jumper and eventing rings after rehab is complete. I have time to show, and i am actually enjoying my life. I have a good work ethic, I work HARD and I love my job. Compare that to your children, one of whom is a college drop out working at McDonalds (not that there is anything WRONG with working there, its just that he would have so many opportunities if he APPLIED himself to something instead of throwing away a scholarship because he can't ,god forbid, take direction from someone and had to get into arguments with all his teachers, resulting in him flunking half his classes ) and your daughter is in a corporate job that she absolutely hates and spends her nights complaining and drinking. So all in all, if THAT is what it means to be a "real adult", i am perfectly happy in my fantasy world."

It frustrates me beyond belief when people say crap like that.
    One: Quick check your face, cuz i just found a nose in business. Awkwaaaard. It isn't your money and isn't your business. My bills are paid, and my animals well taken care of. Why anyone thinks they have a say with what i do with MY money, is beyond me.
    two: horses are in my BLOOD. My very SOUL. I am not complete without them. They are the wild song that pounds through my veins and i am not the same without them. The times i feel most alive are when my foot hits a stirrup and i step into a saddle. I won't resign myself to a miserable existence without the thing that basically keeps me going just because you want me to squish myself into a box that you feel would suit me.

I know we have all been there, and we have all had this happen. I just get so sick of this particular uncle. Hes always going on about his "prowess" with horses, when in reality hes an ignorant ass that can barely tell one end of a horse from the other and just beats them when they don't do what he wants, even though he has no idea how to properly ask them to do something. He's stubborn as mule, half as smart and twice as ugly. And i swear to goodness one of these days im gonna hit him in the face with a chair. Lord forbid someone around them can be CONTENT with their life. If HE'S not happy, then NO ONE can be happy. Ugh.
    Rant over. Just needed to get that out

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

my inlaws are still waiting for me to give up playing with horses so we can move in to suburbia and spawn grandkids

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

[​IMG]

LOL, mine eventually gave up, and now realize that I'm not going to grow up, or out of the obsession.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yuck.

Fortunately everyone leaves me alone in the horse department. But that’s a problem in and of itself, actually. I’m “Arem the horse girl” and that’s it. That’s all. That’s the sum total of my identity to my entire family. The horse girl. And they aren’t into horses so they have no interest in me.

Gets a little tiresome. There is more to me than just horses.

Ms_Pigeon, sunset878 and Puddincup like this.
  5. Touch the Sky

i have this problem as well! I am actually quite fascinated with philosophy. I can and read and translate Latin and i find that so intriguing as well. Instead of berating me on my choice of lifestyle, talk to me about Descartes. Lets discuss Plato's treatises and how he affected the Socratic Method. Lets talk about Robert Frost and Maya Angelou and the amazing poetry out there. Lets talk about all the amazingly fantastic books we have read lately. or how about logic and debate? Lets talk about interesting history or whats going on in the news. Why can't we discuss any of that stuff???

Arem likes this.
  6. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Luckily my family and boyfriend are supportive. Props to you for having your life together :cheerleader: I am beyond confused as to what I actually want to do for a career lol

Arem likes this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

YES! There are SO MANY interesting things to talk about! Deep, passionate things! And horse people are capable of talking about those things, too!

I wish more people would venture out of the shallow end of the conversation pool once in a while.

8. Touch the Sky

Same girl. SAME. One of the reasons i really don't hang out with people is because no one is interested in having meaningful conversations. Its just the latest crap on facebook and Trump did WHAT!?!?!?! No one is interested in deep thoughts anymore.

Loona and Arem like this.
  9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Figuring out what you want to be “when you grow up” is hard! I didn’t figure it out for sure until a couple of months or so ago. And I’ve been technically “grown up” for a long time now. :rofl:

So you’re definitely not alone in that!

GONE ROPING likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

One question.
    Why do you care so much about his approval that you need to have a vent about it?

Fork him and the horse he couldn't ride in on.