1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Animal Heros: Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Serendipity Zip, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Serendipity Zip

Serendipity Zip Senior Member+

I've been hearing and seeing all about the rescues of the people affected by Katrina, but what about the animals that are still left fighting for their lives? What actions are being taken to safe them? I have recently learned of these 'animal heros' who are trying their best to save...and do whatever they can for the animals.

[​IMG]
    A bull wanders through floodwaters south of Port Sulphur, La., on Monday, Sept. 12, 2005. Cattle in southern Louisiana were surrounded by saltwater and starving to death in the days and weeks following Hurricane Katrina, said a report by The Humane Society of the United States.
    [​IMG]
    Surviving chickens huddle in the corner of the remains of a chicken coop near Roopville, Ga., on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005. Poultry farms across the Gulf Coast were ravaged by Hurricane Katrina's torrential winds.
    [​IMG]
    Polaroid pictures of dogs with missing owners are taped to a wall at LSU's John M. Parker Coliseum on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2005. Since the shelter opened during the days following the hurricane, almost 300 pets have already been reunited with their owners, although the number of admissions is still surpassing the number of discharged animals
    [​IMG]
    Animal shelter volunteer Sharon Spann plays with a Shih Tzu puppy at LSU's John M. Parker Coliseum on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2005.
    [​IMG]
    After finding a flooded home with a spray-painted code indicating one living cat, rescue workers in New Orleans bring the crated animal into the sunlight on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Staff Sgt. Dustin Mittag of Campbell, Mo., holds a kitten that he said came scampering across the interstate toward him while he and Pvt. Kevin Davis of Dexter, Mo., left, worked to clear trees in New Orleans on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2005.
    [​IMG]
    A pair of mules that usually pull carriages for tourists through the French Quarter of New Orleans roam freely through the streets of the city on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2005.
    [​IMG]
    A stranded dog stands on the roof of a home surrounded by floodwaters in New Orleans on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2005.

Animal Planet Heroes: Hurricane Rescues
    Friday, Sept. 16, at 9 p.m. ET

Meet the heroes risking their lives to save Katrina's animal victims. Don't miss Animal Planet Heroes: Hurricane Rescues, this Friday at 9 p.m. ET.

PREVIEW: http://animal.discovery.com/features/katrina/promo/promo.html

2. HorseFreak

HorseFreak Senior Member+

That little Shih Tzu puppy is so small!

3. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

This is just so heart breaking. That picture of the bull, of pets with missing owners polaroids, and of that poor dog just make me want to cry. I couldn't imagine my poor Slick (my dog) stuck on a roof like that with nobody.....

4. Serendipity Zip

I know...its a cruel reality. Im just so thankful there are so many good people on this earth who actually care.

5. wereokami

wereokami Registered

:bawling: I wouln't be able to leave my poor Harry(dog), Rudy(dog) or Payne(Cat) alone with no food...In fact I wouldn't...When given the choice, I would stay an hold on to life with my pets. They were there for me, and I'll be there for them...If that happened to me, I pray to Luna it doesn't...

6. BarebackJourney

BarebackJourney Senior Member+

I agree with wereokami, I would NEVER abandon my pets and be able to live with myself. It's called betrayal, and it's just wrong.

I feel bad for those donkies but they may actually be having a fun time roaming the streets. ^^ Really sad though...

7. irideazip

irideazip Senior Member+

[​IMG]i agree....i would NEVER leave lance (how could you, look at his beautiful, drooley face-the dog not my husband lol) or Fancy behind...just couldnt do it, maybe it it was absolutely nessicary, fancy might have to wait b/c i don't own a trailer, but that is why we have a 4-horse for the barn...more more horses in a shorter amount of time [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  8. Caterina

Caterina Senior Member

those mules are probably having fun but id like to see the lead ropes taken off, or atleast a short on stuck on.

i honestly dont think i could leave my pets, i just dont think i could. i can only image how devestated some of teh owners are. wondering if their pet is still alive, it would be heart breaking

9. Serendipity Zip

Thanks for the comments, if you can, yall should try to catch that show on animal planet.

10. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

I just finally watched it, I had it tivo'ed.. very good, very sad.
    For those of you that say you would never leave them, don't say that until you are in that situation where leaving it life or death or YOU and YOUR FAMILY and you are told that no place will take you in because of your animals.
    Its a hard decision, I am sure these people didn't want to leave them, they had to. And I applaud all those volunteers that helped at all the shelteres nation wide that are helping to relieve the overcrowding of the southern shelters.
    And thanks to all the large companies that donated food, supplies and crates to the shelters... and of course everyone who helped all the people out there.