And another rescue in trouble.....

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by coloredcowhorse, Nov 24, 2016.

1. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

No, a 501c3 IS legally obligated to provide you with their form 1024 (application) and their last three 990's (if not available online) if you ask for it. If you send a registered letter - even to a PO Box - they have 30 calendar days to get that information sent to you. They can ask for you to pay for the printing and mailing charges. If they don't provide it when requested, they can be subjected to heavy fines.

It's also easy to find out if a group is a 501c3 or not. You can look it up on the IRS site.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

So anytime anyone makes a request they're required within 30 days to provide proof? Since they're receiving money that makes sense. I've never known anyone in this type of enterprise.

3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Yes.
    Exempt Organization Public Disclosure and Availability Requirements
    Public Disclosure and Availability of Exempt Organizations Returns and Applications: Documents Subject to Public Disclosure
    How to Lose Your 501(c)(3) Tax Exempt Status (Without Really Trying)

https://www.guidestar.org/Articles..../2003/get-the-facts-990-disclosure-rules.aspx
    The bold font in the last paragraph is my own addition.

Varisha and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

In fact I think charitable organizations in general are held to very high standards for transparency.

5. meljean

meljean Senior Member

No, they usually aren't. Another thing that looks good on paper but in actual practice, doesn't.

6. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Jockey Club doesn't allow ET or AI, period. Live cover in hand, which keeps there from being so many registered, and then in trouble down the road. All registries should ban ET and AI.

lcc makes a killing off the "born to die" nursemare foals every year. All from lying through their teeth.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

No, I mean there are laws that require them to show their documentation to anyone who requests it, and the law requires them to keep records of their expenses, etc.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

I disagree with banning ET and AI in all registries. I don't think those procedures are the real problem.

VermilionStrife likes this.
  9. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Also gonna chime in to disagree all ET and AI should be banned. I think it has helped improve (I'll speak specifically to my breed, QH, since that is what I know) the breed a lot. Idiots are still going to breed their backyard mares to neighbor Jim down the road's mutt stud because it only costs $50. AI costs quite a bit, so most horse owners probably won't do it.

10. coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse Senior Member

Actually, if they claim 501c3 status and are asked for proof of it, they do have to show you and do so within a time limit. They also must provide their tax filings if asked for them, also within a time limit. There are problems though when a "rescue" functions for years under "pending" 501c3 status that is never completed (but more than willing to ask for donations under that "pending" status) and then changes their name/address and applies again under new name. When asked about this the IRS agent I spoke with said that unfortunately they don't cross reference new applications against previous applications that were not granted nor against complaints about the same operator under a different name...they go only by the info on the application under the new name. As a result a rescue that either never completed their application process or had 501c3 status revoked or expired or which has multiple complaints under one name can simply change the name and possibly address and go right on doing whatever they have been doing but do so under a new 501c3 designation.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.