Amish morgan horses

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by claireandchase, Jan 27, 2017.

?

Do you think amish morgans are abused

1. yes

5.3%
  2. no

94.7%
  1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Well, if that's your motives then so be it. I believe there's some places of value, but they're run differently than the average and with intelligence. They incorporate training and rehab.

Personally I'll be glad when the supply of horses dwindle as they're putting a lot of people with no horse knowledge or business with a horse.

They're not cats and dogs.

Morgans are a great breed and it is disturbing.. but it's the same for a lot of stellar breeds. I'm sick of irresponsible breeders and breeding and hope the pendulum swing brings some resolution.

2. GooseIsLoose

GooseIsLoose Full Member

This is another scam and a joke to boot. You don't QT by rotating horses in and out of the same disease filled farm every 30 days filled with other horses. That's why so many arrive sick to their final destination.

3. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Here we go again Stop assuming and bashing.Have you been to a reputable QT barn? Have you ever imagine that you have a QT area and a totally separated boarding area where the horses are kept until their ride to the rescues ,adopters or fosters arrives?People understanding about sick animals,incubation time ,infection control?There are many excellent
    People that take great caution to make sure the sick have time to heal,become stronger until they can travel.
    Are all QTS like this ?
    Most likely not,but please stop judging and bashing people that are helping innocent creatures to a dignified life or death.
    Educate yourself first without ONE dimensional research.

4. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

I totally agree with you.Luckily there are some stellar rescues to get as many Morgans out of the auctions houses or they get them directly from the Amish being contacted by them.

5. GooseIsLoose

GooseIsLoose Full Member

I have been educating myself for years on this.

Varisha and manesntails like this.
  6. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Fwiw

Forever Morgan's ONLY pulls registered Morgans or those who can be DNA'd through the registry - they won't pull non registered or so called potential Morgan's anymore. They also aren't active in networking to save horses from any lot at any auction. They rely on foster homes as they have to my knowledge no home barn... they never ask for donations except to pull these overpriced "kill pen horses" (why not buy them at the auction before the price doubles the next day??)

Just an example - I did follow them - maybe other members on here could chime in on their actual 503 status and info...

But no if I'm going to "rescue" a horse it's going to be before it ever ends up at the auction or in the "kill pen" (at double the price it ran through for)

mooselady and manesntails like this.
  7. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

And FWIW @RG NIGHT HEIR i have done just that

A nice couple lost their jobs due to the economy crash in 2011 - they were forced with bringing their horse to auction or euthanasia

I supported said horse on their property until I had my rented property set up to take said horse in.

That is true "rescue" although I still don't consider it "rescue" I never asked for donations or money from them for doing what I did.

The term "rescue" is a twisted thing now a days

GooseIsLoose likes this.
  8. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

I think this all starts with educating people. People who have no business breeding, breed, those who have no business owning horses, own them. There are just too many horses out there. Come on you can get free horses Jesus no wonder people who have no idea but a garden are picking up free horses right left and center. Really doesn't matter what breed the horse is. Morgan, Arab, quarter horse, grade.
    I think also some of these rescues are helping to drive up the price of horses. If a "kill buyer" can sell a horse for double what he can get why not? Hello business opertunity for them, they don't look at horses like we do. Then those charities play right into that. I'm not keen of asking the general population for funds to get a horse off the supposed meat van, if you as an individual or a charity do not have the funds to do this then do not do it. I know public donations are how these charities run but they are sometimes so stupid in the way they spend their money. Buying a horse for an upped price from the "kill buyer" just teaches them they can double their asking price and put a time frame of when the horse gets shipped off and everyone will come together to save that one horse, then the vet bills come then again it's back to asking the public for donations, it goes on and on. Saving a horse that can not be used (using this as a general here) and will forever need $$$ to just live in the field is not a good way to use money. Very few people will adopt a horse like that. I know some will but the ratio of horses that need that $$$ and won't be anything but a pasture pet at best and the amount of people willing to do it is not equal.
    If we as a horse community no matter where we live want things to change for these animals we have to stop playing into these scenarios.
    You have the funds to take on a "rescue" go for it. Be prepared to send your own money without asking the general public for donations. If you can not do that then you have no business even going down that road. Because what if there will be no donations then what? Horse back to square one, maybe would have been better for horse not to have been "rescued" and go around in circles.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I started going to auctions, HORSE auctions, in 1965. I was 12. We went at least twice a month, every month. Auctions are a place that is NECESSARY. If you don't have auctions, you end up with people not being able to sell OR FEED their horse and the horse dying in the field.

We RESENT your (general 'your') use of the words: "*I* rescued a horse" so much because Horsemen have been buying horses at auction, skinners and other horses FOR DECADES and *we* never went around BRAGGING to people that we bought a "rescue" horses. We bought a horse that needed groceries and regular care that he hadn't gotten and we gave it to him.

Why is it so annoying to hear people say "rescue" because it's done to boost YOUR REP and make you look as if you are someone that NOBODY ELSE is.

If you really, truly were in the 'rescue' biz to help horses and ONLY help horses, you wouldn't FIND THE NEED to put it out there how wonderful YOU are for doing what everyone else has been doing for 50 or 60 years, and doing truly JUST FOR the sake of the horse, and not to make themself look like they're better than "common'' folk.

It used to be that HORSEMEN were humble. They didn't LIKE to be known as someone who tooted their own horn.

Neglect is a horse not getting enough care to keep it healthy.
    Abuse is to work it or starve it to death, beat it, etc. Neglecting to have hooves look perfect 24/7 or neglecting to brush a horse is not abuse.

Even horses in pens that are being bought by someone who takes horses to slaughter are not all going there.

At auction, horses go meat price. Which, because of bleeding hearts who got all the slaughter facilities closed, are now the same prices they were in the 60's. So now horses are WORTHLESS because anyone who has a couple hundred bucks (at most) in their pocket, can buy them a few. Or take a free one off someone who doesn't have the money to feed it.

THE MOST ABUSE is due to those people who CAN now afford a horse and they have no bloody idea what they're doing. They do stuff like: Oh, gee, I'm outta horse feed, let's see, I gotz some pig feed, I'll just feed 'em that.

And guess what? The horse SUFFERED and died at his NEW 'Rescue home'. whoopie~!!! He was rescued~!!! What a kind person they were to take him off the killer.

No they're NOT~!! The horse would have died instantly at the slaughter house. He wouldn't have laid there and suffered through hours of pain before his gut finally burst or twisted and he got blood poisoning, went septic and died right there on the ground.

The BEST thing they can do is get someone else to buy the horse who MIGHT know what to do with it. You don't learn how to be a horseman in a few years and voila' you can handle anything. Most people who now have horses don't have enough education to handle any problem they have and all the help in the world won't help them because they don't have a mindset to shut up and learn. They want the horse to be a dog. They say sit, it sits. No idea how to train one. Keep a horse with those people, now THAT, that's what *I* call abusive. Mentally ruin the horse and then say: Oh no, *I* <<get the constant *I*, don't want to 'GIVE UP ON THE HORSE.

No..... You're giving it to someone with a bit more clue than you, THAT'S commendable. It isn't all about YOU and what you want. It's about the horse and what HE NEEDS. If he doesn't need you , because you don't have the skill, I will pat you on the back for selling him to someone else interested who may just be able to do with that horse what you can't.

And all the you's are general you's not pointing at anyone at all.

10. Chester

Chester Senior Member

I see the 'adoption' of 'rescue' horses in a very basic way.

If someone knows that there will be a market for their produce they will produce. So a person who knows that if they send their stock to xyz sale because there will be the rescue buyers then that is where they will send them. Why spend money on a bullet and backhoe when they know they will get payment from the buyers. The old and infirm are still worth dollars if marketed correctly and in this case the correct marketing is sending them to xyz sale.

To turn this around. Farmer grows apples. Sending them to market will get him $2 a pound. It will cost him $1 a pound to harvest them and send them to market. A $2 ad in the local paper reading "Apples. Pick your own. $1.30 a pound. Last chance to teach your children the joys of picking their own fruit before they are sent for pig food".

Everyone rushes to enjoy the old fashioned picking fun. Farmer makes more money for less work. He gets more money for the produce, no effort required to hire workers, no hassle of transporting them to market. The buyers go off feeling good, they have saved all these apples from wastage and paid less than if they went to the market.

He never intended to sell them for pig food. He would have had to harvest them and got less than market price for them. Same as a killbuyer. A killbuyer, known here as a dogger, won't buy a horse he can't send to slaughter unless he knows he has a market for it.