Am I with my perfect horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DesyLovesHorses, Jan 9, 2017.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I guess my question is.....why do you want a nuttier horse? Maybe to "prove" something? It sounds like you have a great horse. Who cares if she doesn't gallop up to the gait to meet you....they aren't dogs you know, who will wag their tail and lick your face. LOL

Like Manes said.....go be an exercise rider on the track...you'll get all the action and danger you want. Then you can come home and appreciate the gem you have in your own yard.

2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Can confirm. Was an exercise rider, plenty of speed and unpredictability.

Unfortunately the trainers were more unpredictable than the horses, especially concerning my pay...

3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I wasn't an exercise rider, but I did work at the track... had the same issue lol

4. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

And then probably can not handle it.

Because you don't sound like someone who can handle the hot and challenging types. Stick with something that keeps you out of the hospital.

5. equicrzy

equicrzy Senior Member

I'm not understanding this thread. In another thread, the op talks about this horse being her heart horse.....horse is perfect, they "get" each other, etc.....then, the question is asked, "should I sell her for a "hotter" horse".......

You have this perfect horse, she's your heart horse, but, you're considering selling her for something that might end up being a nightmare.

?????

NBChoice, Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Yep...makes no sense. Another newbie young one with "wild" ambitions of being out-horsed by a fire-breathing steed.

RelaxMax and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You guys must been working for a stable way on the "backside" of the Back side of the track. o_O :rolleyez: :D

Friesiangirl and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Haha, I freelanced, so I hopped around. Some trainers were timely every week, some I had to remind constantly. I frequently got the, "I'll get you on the next win."

manesntails likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Amen!!!!

10. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

You have a great horse who doesn't do some of the "stuff" you'd like- coming to the gate when called, a little bit on the mellow side, possibly a tad lazy?

You don't need a hotter horse, you need a little training help.

You aren't talking about "hot", you're talking about responsiveness. Talk to a good trainer, they can help you.

One hint: Instead of taking your mare to work every time you get her out of the paddock, do something she enjoys for a minute or two, then put her back and walk away. Rinse, repeat. You'd be amazed at how glad your horse will be to see you if you showing up doesn't always mean leaving her buddies and having to work. My mare will run from 5 acres away to greet me because she knows half the time, I'll pull her out to graze on the "extra special" grass on the outside of the fence, give her a scratch and a treat, then put her back in with her friends.

SaddleUp158 likes this.