Am I with my perfect horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DesyLovesHorses, Jan 9, 2017.

1. DesyLovesHorses

DesyLovesHorses Registered

So, I currently have a horse called Holly. She's absolutely amazing, shes stunning, great jumper (though i dont jump), loves to gallop, quiet, easy, etc. I love her to pieces but at the same time im considering selling her as I prefer a more challenging,fast, hot horse and she is very easy. I like the type of horses who gallop to the gate for a hug instead of her, the more standoffish type. I have a great bond with her and really dont want to leave her but I also want to buy a more challenging, slightly nutty horse :) I cant have both and im so confused about what to do. Any advice?

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Nope. Only this, be careful what you want. .for you may surely get it. That, and a lot more that you didn't bargain on. Good luck, I have no input other than that.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

A horse who runs to the gate is a needy horse. You want a needy horse? That's weird to me. You have a horse who you get along with. You want other horses who you think are more of a 'challenge', then get a job as a working student or as an assistant to a horse trainer. Challenging horses are horses who need training. Galloping is not the 'be all and end all' of horseback riding. Galloping is a thrill. You do it once in a while but if you keep galloping a horse daily, it expects to gallop and then you have a fight on your hands with a horse always expecting to do what it did yesterday and take off galloping.

Maybe you'd like being an exercise rider at the Tb Track? You can breeze horses and get paid for it.

4. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Mm, I once sold a lovely, quiet OTTB who could pack beginners for something like what you want. Ended up with a half-blind, spooky, bucky Paint who just became a pasture ornament.

And then after that ended up with my pony (by chance), who is a gentleman on the ground but a challenge to ride. He comes when I call him no matter where he is in the pasture.

Hang onto what you've got. She sounds like a lovely mare. One day you'll "stumble" across the horse you want, but if you go searching, you'll try to find the qualities into a horse you think you'll like and then it won't be what you are actually looking for.

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Never trade a good horse you love to go find a dingaling you might not, even be ready for, or get hurt trying prospects. Sorry but imo your heads in the teenage clouds.
    If you dont even jump, a lil, you arent ready for a spirited horse whos liable to go sideways or spin or another unexpected movement. And I cant count the ways and times you could get hurt even trying "spirited " prospects.
    I rode occasionally since I was 6-7. Lessons when possible, and friends horses in between as a teen. Rode a well broke but green quarter horse for a while, who I really wanted to Own, but parents/ adults couldnt agree on the price, and she sold to someone else. I was a camp counselor, teaching other kids to ride, and I found a great horsemanship school with a breeder/ trainer/ Experienced rider running it who was a wealth of knowledge to learn from. 3 years later she trusted me enough to sell me one of her good, green horses, with some directions, restrictions, and hope it wasnt a mistake that would ruin him. He Would come when called, he also did his share of bucking and spooking, not mean just green. He was a distracted pinwheel at his fist show/s, and we nuked a lot of early classes before pinning, low. Higher with time and work, ring work not Black Stallion Syndrome galloping. He was fun to ride because he was solid and responsive, not fighting or counter-thinking me every step of the way. Some of the camp horses had quirks that made them fun/ interesting. But theres a big difference between green, spooky, and dangerous and it take more than "ride time" to recognize, diagnose, and deem the difference fixable or not. Fence posts and just the ground can make a simple spook and ejection Life-altering, to even an experienced rider.
    Keep the horse you have, and enjoy it, and what it can teach you. When you are truly beyond what it can do, hacking, jumping, pleasure, etc, start looking for a suitable replacement. And a home or sale for the current horse. How it fares or "lands" in its next home is partly up to the care you take in exchanging it, whether its auctioned, brokered, traded or sold at a show.
    I never sold mine so cant help you with that scenario, kept him for 25 years through training, showing, retirement, good and bad times, health, and finances, til he died. Thats the dedication to a hearthorse too. Shiny Object Syndrome chase has no part in it. Its about knowing what you can do, objectively, accurately, not what you want or Think you can do without the actual proof or skills.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Mine all gallop to the gate... for food.
    You will change your mind when you get some age on ya. I used to like the "hot horses." Now, I like the easy ones LOL

7. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Funny, I took the horse you want and turned it into the horse you have.

A flighty, anxious, needy horse is a danger to itself and others. I prefer the horse that is bold, confident in themselves and others, and has the mind about them not to panic about everything. In July she bolted to the back of the stall, pranced on the lead, kicked at me often (brat), tore up her turn out running around wildly.

Now she does enjoy some play time, but she settles in. She is fine with change. She is fine being by herself. She is fine with others. Much to work through still, but I was happy to help this horse on a journey towards being a better member of the herd. Both for the people who have to handle her when I'm not around, and for her own future well-being.

She's sensitive but not a ticking time bomb. She's more REACTIVE but not unstable. She is forward, she is quick, she is still more likely to act first when pressure is applied than think. And that's okay, because she has a more positive direction for that energy.

A horse cannot be guaranteed a home with me forever. Maybe this one might, but if I die today I bet she'd find a home. 6 months ago she would have been on the meat truck.

Just some thoughts.

8. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

First question is, What happens to the horse if you mess up?

Even people who have been riding for years may struggle with "nuttier" horses. How much experience do you have training and riding spirited horses? Will you have a trainer to help you, especially if/when you meet road blocks?

It is not fair to get a greener horse just because you want one, if the horse will suffer for it. What I mean is, if you mess up, and end up selling the horse as an even bigger nutcase than it already was, it may end up in a slaughter house or lame or it may hurt somebody. It may hurt you.

So be confident you can handle this horse, whatever it throws at you, and make it a better horse than it was before.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a hotter horse... but be careful. Don't let the horse suffer your mistakes. Who knows, you may end up really missing your steady-eddy mare and regretting your decision down the road. So be very sure.

9. BossMare16

BossMare16 Senior Member

My horse has changed dramatically over the 4 years I've had her, and no matter how she changes she's still my perfect horse. The best ones are the ones that you're not looking for, she came from a family friend and her pasturemate had just died and they didn't want her to be lonely. She was fat, stubborn (still is), and wouldn't even move into a trot without a crop. Due to me being young and stupid, I retrained her quite poorly and she became high-strung, wouldn't even walk unless we rode for about an hour first.
    Now that I've learned and have started from the beginning, she's still a little high-strung occasionally but calms down, levels her neck and listens with ease. Sometimes it takes training, sometimes it just takes time.
    I would say don't give up on her, she might change or you might change. My mare is far from needy but will mosey up and say hi sometimes, and enjoys cuddles and scratches. Give her a chance, bond with her if you want a buddy, give her reasons to put the motor on, see what she can do and enjoy that.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I agree with be careful what you wish for. I would keep the horse you have.

As you get older you will learn to appreciate a predictable partner. Flashy is nice, but the rest of it is what you don't want in a horse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.