Am I responsible for this vet bill (My horse kicked another)

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by xoxoteamroper, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xoxoteamroper

xoxoteamroper Full Member

Well she's done it again, except this time she's hurt someone else. We've put tons of time into this mare and she now stands tied relatively nicely and quietly with minimal pulling back. I had her tied at the very end of the barn to groom her after a work out. A girl comes riding her gelding (bareback) in the barn up and down the isle. I warned her that my girl kicks, and not to come behind my mare. She rides back down the isle and I walked into the tack room (converted stall), and as I walk out she is behing my mare and Veg kicked her gelding right in the ribs and she fell off. She jumped up and caught her gelding that was bleeding (he got kicked right behind the girth area in the ribs) and I just checked that she was alright and her gelding wasn't too terribly injured. She called her dad out who let me know that I would be getting stuck with vet bill for her horse, and that my mare should be shot. :no: Vets coming out today, it looks like she only broke the skin and he is very bruised.

My question is, am I really responsible for this girls vet bill. In my opinion, she got her horse kicked as she was given a warning and my horse was tied out of the way.

PaintedRocket likes this.

2. PoochtheMighty

PoochtheMighty Senior Member+

Her dad is overly emotional, and obviously incompetent.

You are not responsible for the vet bill. Do not pay it.

8 people like this.
  3. morgansrule08

morgansrule08 Senior Member

No, you gave fair warning to be careful around your horse and she blatantly ignored it. You are not at fault, it's not your responsibility to pay the vet bill. Even though it isn't your fault, I'd just be very careful and maybe tie a red ribbon in her tail.

ETA: Why on earth was she riding inside the barn? That is a HUGE no-no where I am.

20 people like this.
  4. caohorse

caohorse Full Member

You aren't responsible at all for it. You warned the girl yet she didn't listen and it was HER desision to take the risk. Tell her dad that. Also, about "shooting" your mare. He by no means has the right to put your mare down.

Andrea

5. TinRoses

TinRoses Senior Member+

You are NOT responsible for the vet bill. You gave the rider full warning of the possibility that your mare would kick and who the Heck rides INTO a barn and BEHIND/BESIDE a tied horse?! They were being ridiculously irresponsible and your mare was only behaving as a horse would; she kicked out at a perceived threat while in a vulnerable position (tied)

Inform them that if they attempt to hand you the bill that you will take them to court and counter sue for animal endangerment as they put the welfare of your horse, who again was tied and in a prone position, in extreme danger with their reckless behavior.

3 people like this.
  6. 2006reswc

2006reswc Banned

No you are not. If you are dumb enough to get within kicking distance, then you deserve the kick. You should ever have to tell someone your horse kicks, horses are livestock and livestock has hooves, animals with hooves know how to kick.
    Livestock will be livestock and even the best tempered livestock can kick or bite without warning.

10 people like this.
  7. xoxoteamroper

xoxoteamroper Full Member

She has a red tail bag, with long red ties I had to make her for this reason exactly.

And on the riding in the barn...thank you....im not the only one that feels it was ridiculous.

8. cathrynxox

cathrynxox Senior Member+

At every barn I've been to, it's been a rule that you do NOT ride in the barn aisles/stalls.

No, you are not responsible for the vet bill.

3 people like this.
  9. cadance

cadance Senior Member

NO WAY. You are hands down not responsible for that vet bill. Pretty sure stuff like that is covered in the waiver everyone signs at their respective barn. What a bunch of idiots.

10. morgansrule08

morgansrule08 Senior Member

Good, I trail ride frequently with others and if I see red accessories or ribbons I steer clear. It's up to everyone to be responsible and have common sense. The man is ridiculous... my dog attacked another last week (she was provoked) and then the owner wanted to have mine put down. That was not happening.

Horses can and will kick if cornered or restrained while a threat is present and if she was daft enough to get close then it's her own fault.

As for the riding in the barn thing...I know a girl who was almost killed because she rode into the aisle, someone shut the arena door, she fell off and the horse's hooves came down on her face. You never ever know if there is going to be something that could spook the horse. It's absolutely not safe to ride in the aisles. That'd be enough to get her thrown out of my barn!

1 person likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.