Agonizing Winter Boot Search (again)

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by paval, Oct 29, 2017.

1. paval

paval Senior Member

I had a pair of the Ariats for last Winter. I do believe they were a pair from their H20 line. Thinsulate insulation and supposedly waterproof. They were black leather and ankle high (not great for deep snow). I only had use of them one Winter season. The zipper broke in both and cost me $40 to have 2 zippers replaced (repair shop didn't have as fine a tooth zipper style for the replacement, so after that boots leaked through the zippers). They might have been under warranty wtill, but I couldn't take the time to send them away and see what manufacturer said about them... needed boots to wear, so I had fixed at local shoe repair shop. Now I'm leery of buying another zipper up style boot. Then the leather cracked across the top, in the area above the ball of the foot so of course my feet started getting wet, so they went in the trash.

2. paval

paval Senior Member

I tried a pair like that from Boggs. They were hard for me to walk in. That may have been the year after I tore my meniscus though. So after that, I've stayed away from the clunky styles.

3. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

If you buy the bean boots, get the boot cream that goes with them. It's waterproof (wax based) and my leather uppers still look great. I have a pair that are over 20 years old.

L.L.Bean Boot Guard | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean.

I'm pretty sure it's Obenauf's LP rebranded, but the jar is bigger for less money so why not. If the cream remains backordered, obenauf's is a good investment for outdoor footwear.

paval likes this.
  4. paval

paval Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    I ended up ordering a pair of Columbia Ice Maiden II insulated/waterproof winter boots. I've pretty much given up on the all leather (like my Ariat H2O) boots or the all rubber like the Bogs I had. So these are a little different and had tons of good reviews. We don't tend to have a lot of pooling/standing water after a heavy rain and I keep paddocks super clean of manure, so I'm not too concerned about the synthetic textile and suede construction having to sloth through manure. Warmth and waterproof and high enough (mid-calf) and comfort will be the true test. These were much more economical, but price was not my deciding factor on these.
    Boots just arrived today and seem to run true to size (although I read on Zappos reviews, a lot of people sized up 1/2 to whole size so they could wear thick socks). I didn't know if I would like lace up, but I think they will be fine.
    I ordered from Backcountry and got them for $65 + change after a discount for joining their email list (free shipping).
    I got the brown:

Ice Maiden II Lace Boot - Women's

5. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

A bit late now but ...
    Dublins. The country boot line, like the River Boots or Pinnacle Boots.
    I have the River boots.... and let me tell you , those suckers are waterproof! Like, angrily hand walk a horse through an XC water jump and come out the other side with dry feet type waterproof.
    I wear them to muck, to ride , to drive my truck , and to go out for dinner. I pretty much wear them daily and live in them. And no they won't die in a year, not even close.

paval likes this.
  6. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I was just about to suggest Dublins. I bought myself a pair a couple winters ago and they're my go-to boot. I live in Canada, where it's common to have -30*C weather (before windchill) and my feet are always toasty. On the really frigid days, I'll wear two pairs of socks if I plan to be outside for multiple hours. I wear mine everywhere too, and sometimes, if people are really lucky... I knock the manure off them before I wear them out to dinner at a restaurant. They're well worth the cost and I'm already eyeing up a pair of brown ones to go along with my black ones.

paval and 250girl like this.
  7. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

I have the black ones too! Totally envying the dark chocolate brown ones.
    I did pick up a pair of well used Pinnacles for $45 last weekend. Well worn but still nice !
    Eyeing up the Eskimo boots pretty hard too.

paval likes this.
  8. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

They went up in price from when I got mine. I think I paid under $200 CDN for mine, new, a few years ago. Now I'm seeing them for just under $300 CDN.

paval likes this.