Advice needed guys... please help!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Sk2018, Mar 19, 2018.

?

Would you stay or go?

1. Stay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sk2018

Sk2018 Registered

Morning guys!

So I need some advice which is doing my head in and currently don’t know what to do!!

Here’s my issue...

I own 4 horses and currently on a small livery yard on a farm but I rent a sole use part that separate from the rest.

I have 4 stone stables, another stable which I use as a tack room, hard standing secure gated area, around 6 acres all to myself plus space in barn for hay/straw.
    I also have use of the arena as and when I like! Amazing hacking!

This is currently costing £17.50 each pw so £280 every 4 weeks I pay.

I may have an opportunity to rent 7 acres with water for sole use ...no other liveries etc for £160pm
    However it has no stables, shelter,tackroom , school - nothing! But amazing hacking still. I’ve been told I can use a small section of barn and can put up own shelter if required but at my own cost. It’s on a hill so well drained with some flatter part at the bottom.

My current farm yard I’m renting is planning on being sold the start of next year the son of the owner basically said he will try to put up more stables on his part of the land to accommodate however this isn’t set in stone! Plus I don’t really get on with his “yard manager” she’s very *****y and a text warrior I keep myself to myself yet she still has to pick on things to try cause trouble so she’s the main reason I want to leave.

In summer my lot are out 24-7 normally so I pay for Stables I don’t use unless real bad weather or very hot!
    Everyone else has summer paddocks and winter ... last summer my lot was eating loads so I got given a 9 acre field to use to eat down then moved them into my winter field for winter the agreement was I use the 9 acres again this summer however I’ve been told I have to stay in my winter field and make it last basically because in the “yard managers” eyes I’ve had to much grazing! Then she says she’s getting a horse and wants to take a chunk of my winter field for a few months so hers doesn’t start eating her summer paddock straight away! Even though there’s 1 winter paddock free the other livery side. So that will leave me with less grass for summer for my 4. All she says is if you run out but hay ... that’s all fair but no one else has to and with 4 to feed it’s expensive it’s already costing around £600 pm for winter for them as it is so why shouldn’t I have a break come summer like the rest?!

My question is... what would you do guys?? Would you take the 7 acres for summer and see about finding another yard come next winter? Or stay put for now until farm is sold and see what happens? I’m stuck as I like my tackroom and Stables but feels a waste come summer right now the money would come in handy that would be saved but I don’t want to regret being without everything.
    Helpp !!

Ps sorry it’s so long x

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!
    I don´t know how often your horses are in the barn during the colder months so I don´t know what structure you´d need to set up.
    Maybe you´d need to get a permit if you´re set on a stone barn? That is something you should check before you make a decision.

3. Sk2018

Sk2018 Registered

Thank you!

My lot are used to being stabled during winter.
    They have daily turnout but in every night until summer.
    You can have temporary stables/shelters put up in fields so believe you wouldn’t need any planning however the land owner would check this out before hand.

But I think she would only want a shelter or maybe a couple of stables - so would mean a couple of mine would have to live out.
    Both my boys would be fine and quite enjoy it but it’s maybe me that likes them in the dry out the wind in winter. It’s a tricky one I seriously don’t know what do to!

4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I'd look around and see if anything else is for rent. You might find something that would suit you better

ginster likes this.
  5. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I would keep looking. A field isn't much. And 7 acres for 4 horses will get eaten down pretty fast. So you will be feeding hay almost all year.

It sounds like you have a nice set up where you are.

I can't say if you are paying too much. £600 is about $1200+ Canadian. It would cost about the same here to board them outside 24/7. More if you want a stall and or hay.

6. Sk2018

Sk2018 Registered

I am always on the look out but unfortunately it’s very rare to have something come up in the local areas... I already walk 2 hrs 35 mins daily to get to them where they are at the moment. The land is about 20mins closer. If I had a choice I’d definitely just find another sole use yard close to home but have been pretty much looking for the last year for something near home.

7. Sk2018

Sk2018 Registered

In summer they had 9 acres which I sectioned off and managed fine. Winter grazing is about 6 acres and have coped well with very little mud but again I’ve sectioned off. If I’m careful with 7 acres it would last over summer but I know come winter I’d have to buy hay which isn’t an issue. I just don’t want to come unstuck towards the end of the year when the farm is sold and I’m given little time to find somewhere suitable for 4 horses! Even though I’m in the country very few farmers allow horses it’s all sheep and cows so they yards and Stables that are available are snapped up. Some people I know rent like 3 different places all year long just so they know they have places as back up but of course I couldn’t afford that with 4 to keep.

8. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Do you know anyone who is looking to reduce coat at their own private farm and would mind you renting a pasture?

9. Sk2018

Sk2018 Registered

These places are private farms.
    Nothing really comes available quickly or local...unless it’s mainly “ who “ you know / word of month.
    Farmers are funny and aren’t fussed about money they would just rather pennies per month and most offer free grazing for them. Horses they are funny about. Maybe something comes available every 5/6mths if lucky and very slim chance something with 4+ Stables / land big enough to accommodate 4 horses. The biggest i seen available before the 7 acres come up was 5 acres with 2 Stables ... way out my local area and wouldn’t be able to get there unless my partner drove me there! Plus 5 acres wouldn’t last long just 2 of mine could polish that off. I’ve put ads online asking, letters in doors locally, notes of gates of farms / land ... asked local pubs / people if they know of anyone / anywhere... and nothing! So I am lucky with what I currently have but like I said above it’s short lived if he doesn’t keep extra land on off his step mum (even tho I’m 99% sure she will sell everything) and get planning for more Stables I’d have to go the end of the year anyway. He needs Realistically 8+ Stables planning / building before winter again personally I can’t see it happening. So that’s why I’m thinking it’s best I take the 7 acres then keep looking ... then hope another sole use yard comes up by winter. By then I should be driving so can go further out if needed as well.