ADM 14% Patriot Horse Feed- a Purina feed comparable to it?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by prettyqtrs, Apr 1, 2009.

1. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

Going to pick up the new mares on Monday, and they are both due to foal in May. Here's what the lady said they are being fed...

They are on ADM 14% Patriot. Sophie is also on ADM Healthy Glo nuggets. They each get a rounded scoop morning and night, and Sophie gets 3/4 cup topdress of the nuggets.

Is there a Purina feed that is comparable to the ADM 14% Patriot?
    I'd like to keep them on what they are used to, at least until they foal, then switch them to what we feed (Enrich 32). Or should I just switch them right away? I would still need a comparable feed to transition them to the E32.

Also, she said she has Sophie on the extra 'stuff' (the topdress) because she needed a little more weight put on her.

2. prettyqtrs

Alright, nevermind. I just talked to my local feed store (who is a Purina dealer) and they can get some Patriot horse feed for me from another branch of the store. :)

3. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

I was gonna suggest you see if the people would sell you a bag or pick some up when you pick them up... but you already have it covered ...

there should not be a problem changing them over now instead of waiting the better nutrition will help all around

4. prettyqtrs

Thanks PeggySue. So you think it would be okay to switch their feed so late in their pregnancy?
    Regardless, I had my feedstore order in 4 bags of the Patriot feed. They said they can get it in by Friday (which will work great). So I'll start out with that at least.

BTW: I love your "titles"... Charity Coordinator, Part time head smasher! :D

5. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

Thanks

Yes I think it should be fine to change them over ... just do it slowly