Actiflex Joint Supplement, Powdered vs. Liquid?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RebeccaMI, May 18, 2017.

1. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

Does anyone here use a liquid joint supplement, either the Actiflex 4000 or another brand? Have you had good luck with it? My gelding, JT, is going to be 27 this summer. He has 24/7 turnout and has been on the Actiflex Senior powdered joint supplement for years now and it works well for him. He's always been a hard keeper, but in the past six months or so he's become really picky about his feed. It seems that he'd rather not have the Actiflex Senior powder on his feed, because there's always some left at the bottom of the bucket when he's done eating. The problem is, of course, that he needs to be on some kind of joint supplement at his age. I thought maybe he didn't like the large amount of powder, so when I was at Rolex last month I bought a tub of a different powdered supplement to try because the recommended amount per day is significantly smaller. It seems like he's equally "meh" about that supplement being on his food, though. I'm considering trying the Actiflex 4000 liquid because he can't sift it to the bottom like he can with the powdered Actiflex. (Of course, I guess he could just plain not eat his grain with that liquid on it. #facepalm) He doesn't live with me so he has to be on something that is easy to dispense. Powders are easy to pre-scoop in little tubs from the dollar store (DIY Smartpaks) that can just be opened and dumped onto his feed in the morning, but a liquid would be easy too because the person who takes care of him could just dispense one "pump" from a big jug onto his feed.

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I personally prefer the liquid and only switch to the powdered in the winter since the barn is not heated and if I move to the heated barn, I pre-bag all my grain+ supplements.

It has a Pina Colada type smell to it. some may be a little "ew, what is the wet glob" in my feed, but most seem to eat it just fine.

3. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

How liquid-y is the liquid, Lopinslow? Is it pretty free-flowing, or is it more like vegetable oil, or is it more syrupy, or is it thick like molasses?

I have the same problem, the feed and supplements are kept in the hay shed which is not heated. I'm hoping I can talk the person who takes care of JT into keeping the liquid supplement in her house and dispensing a squirt into a measuring cup before she goes out to feed the horses in the morning. Otherwise I'll have to do like you do and switch to the powder in the winter.

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

It's not watery, probably similar thickness to an oil