acres per horse, legally?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kourtney, May 29, 2004.

1. Kourtney

Kourtney Full Member

I'm just wondering if the whole one acre per one horse deal is a legal issue or a suggestive issue. I'm in upstate NY and I couldn't find anything when I searched the NYS laws and such. Thanks!!

2. madvoice

madvoice Senior Member+

If you can't find any legislation for your township, then there should be no problem. The Lands and Planning council for Litchfield Shire (that encompasses where I live) to a certain area wishes to pass a law to allow 1 horse per hectare (approx 2 acres). This law is yet to be passed. We currently have 3 horses on 2.2ha but all 3 are hand fed. We will be applying for a permit when the law is passed to keep the 3rd horse but at $250 per application (regardless if it is approved) is a bit steep.

3. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

It depends on the area. Call your local ag extension if you don't live in a specific township or housing development. Where I lived, I had 2 acres. We were allowed 5 ANIMALS on the propery from horses to ducks to dogs and cats. VERY Specific. The housing people could come and remove ALL My animals if I broke that rule.

4. tn walker

tn walker Senior Member+

I would imagine that if you cannot find legal documentation, then you should not be concerned with the legal aspect of acreage. Typically, though, it is recommended that there be 2 to 3 acres of pasture per horse.

5. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Oh, call Planning and Zoning. They have all the area's rules on file.

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member+

Where I am it's 1 acre per horse, which is at least a semi-reasonable rule of thumb.

7. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator

I was not able to find any of these statutes "on line", but I DID have to go to the county/city offices and look up the statutes on microfiche.

That is the only way to find they, and yes, they are there!

The county is different from the "in city envirions."

Acres per horse, type of fencing required for stallions, distance of livestock housing from residential housing...etc....

You may want to check the local county offices, or ask the
    planning/building commisision in your area, you may be surprised that they
    DO exist. :D

8. Kourtney

Kourtney Full Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'll definitely have to check out planning/zoning and see what I can find out!