Ace Update

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Serenity06, Dec 6, 2014.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Foxy never tied up, but yeah, definitely a big symptom in PSSM. He was negative for PSSM 1?

2. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

Yes he’s negative PSSM 1. He has almost all the symptoms listed for PSSM 2 though. The giant red flags are the muscle wasting, tying up, exercise intolerance (he has issues when worked too much consistently, does best with multiple days off in a row), and the attitude changes. I know that all can point to other things but I will honestly be shocked if his testing comes back negative. He’s been cleared of a plethora of other things by multiple vets. I’m just glad I seem to have his diet ironed out and he is thriving now!

3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Foxy had the muscle wasting from the corn too. But, his was a dramatic change in just six months. He was the opposite and needed out every day because his muscles were so tight from the corn. His body just went into over load trying to fight off the allergy.

4. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

It’s amazing what one little thing can do to a horse! My heart breaks for all the horses that end up with people that don’t try to figure the issues out! I was to the point of selling Ace because I was at my wits end with him, I am so glad I found help with it all and didn’t sell him!

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yeah, when Foxy first started having issues with the corn the trainer tried to get me to donate him to a therapy group when he was nine. He's 16 now and now looks and feels better than ever. And he acts it too.

I also previously thought he had a sensitivity to soy oil because oils would make his coat dull and he would get a small winter coat despite heat and lights. So quit giving that to him the last two years and no winter coat. But, now it must have been the corn/vegetable oil in both products that caused that.

Serenity06 likes this.
  6. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

So this sounds sooooooo similar to what is going on with my mare. I️ am also at my wits end with her. She now the past three mo this has started losing weight and all her muscle. She has been on Notre a safe choice original for almost three years. Ugh.... I️ don’t know where to go from here. :(

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Safe Choice Original is the one that atrophied him last year. He had it before in 2016 with less problems including no hives nor atrophy, just didn't know he wasn't at his best. I wonder if their ingredients changed in the past year since so many horses seem to have issues with it now.

This was him January 2017 just as he started on it. FoxyJanuary2017.jpg

Then June 2017 when I finally figured it out.

FoxyJune2017.jpg

Then him November 2017. He did have a delay in getting better because of the corn being in the oats. Didn't make him worse, but he stopped getting better. FoxyNovember2017.jpg

Attached Files:

8. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

071613DC-F779-4D6B-A1BD-2EA5A62E78AD.jpeg This was my mare lastnight :(

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yep, similar atrophy to Foxy. I've seen photos of Lindy in the past, she's normally buff like Foxy. I would definitely take her off of the grain now. For Foxy and my friend's horse it only took two days to see an obvious change. She looks uncomfortable just like Foxy does in his photo even though his ears are up.

Circle C likes this.