Abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alyssa Hughes, May 20, 2018.

1. Sam C.

Sam C. Senior Member

I've fortunately only needed to give antibiotics once, and my vet prescribed a 7 day treatment. Cleared my gelding's issues right up. I didn't realize it was so unusual to only treat for a week.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Going by myself-if my doc prescribes antibiotics, it's for 10 days minimum. I once got an antibiotic I had to take for three days but it had some kind of depot effect which worked for ten days in all..

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Different antibiotics and types of infections have different treatment times and dosage which is why a person should touch base with their vet before giving antibiotics.

If a hoof abcess spreads infection to tissue above the hoof is typically when an antibitoc would be used for what started as a hoof abcess. The skin in the back of the Pastern looked very red which is why I suggested she contact her vet after the Holiday weekend. However the OP stated that the skin was only red from the Hot water
    and horse is now improving after second abcess burst.

I will also say that many vets keep regular clients stocked with SMZ/ banamine/bute/ace/dormesdan for emergency treatment.

Sam C. and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Do NOT wrap it. Just keep putting, “Drawing Salve“ ( my gawd, the dumming down of society: remove the hard to spell name so peeps don't get confused~!!) On it.

You want it to drain. Wrap it and you STOP it draining. Keep soaking two times a day, hot water and epsom salts, then pack with drawing salve.

Google drawing salve. It's dried-blood-red in color and very thick.Search Results for ichthammol drawing salve at Tractor Supply Co.

It's STILL listed under ichthammol on TSC website. Go get some. It's less than 10 bucks for a huge jar~!!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I can spell it easier than I can pronounce it. :LOL:

Except for my horse's last abscess where I didn't need the vet to pull the shoe off, my vet always had me put my horse on antibiotics because he always spiked a low temp, 100-101. He did it this time too, but just taking care of the abscess it did go away on its own. Now that we have him without pads, after nearly ten years, hoping he won't get them anymore. He always got his at the end of the shoeing cycle in the sole after he walked in mud.

Alyssa Hughes and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. manesntails

Ick, thu (as in thumb) mall.

7. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

Thank you. I trust her as she specializes in horses and another vet always comes out with her. It was 7 days of Uniprim powder 1 scoop morning and night if that helps at all :D

8. Alyssa Hughes

I was wondering how you say it! :ROFLMAO:

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Alyssa Hughes

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. manesntails

Pack it with ichthammol again until it heals and get some ribbed bell boots for him. Put those on, once it heals up, before you turn him out.

You may have to trim the bottoms of the bell boots. Stand him on a concrete floor and if the boots are too long, they don't set down onto his foot, trim off as much as needed until they do.

Don't let him go out without boots on and overreach and cut himself up.