Abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alyssa Hughes, May 20, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

He only had to be on it one week. That's why I have a week left. I would rather give my horse antibiotics (if he absolutely needs them which he didn't so I didn't give him any) then regret it later.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I have never heard of antibiotics being prescribed for only a week - not in human or any animal medicine. 7 days isn’t enough to ensure anything is taken care off.

I understand the “giving now than regretting later” but you need to know what your treating & how to treat it. There is more than 1 antibiotic on the market b/c they don’t all work the same. Plus - if you gave a less than full course (7days) and ended up with antibiotic resistance then you would regret it.......So really......don’t self medicate unless you really truly understand what you’re doing.

Tige Ress, bellalou and LeenieBean like this.
  3. Alyssa Hughes

He didn't have an infection we were preventing one. He is my horse so my vet and I'll decide what's best.

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I do not give oral antibiotics for a good abscess. Complete waste and I do not advise giving antibiotics Willy nilly. If a hoof abscess is so horrible (and I don't even use abx for a complete solar abscess) youd better get your vet to perform a regional perfusion to get into the hoof capsule.
    I use animalintex pads. After I soak in epsom soak with a capful of betadine a hospital iv bag closed off and secured shut w duct tape, I use wet animalintex, then after it pops, I keep it wet, wrapped and draining for 3 days...animalintex, vet wrap, elastikon, the duct tape boot secured with gorilla tape. Horse should be on turnout. I do not stall and stalling is counter productive and counter indicated for most stuff since it restricts movement , blood flow , etc. ...after 3 days, I soak in clean trax, then wrap with dry animalintex, and same rest of layers as before. I begin to dry it out with after pin fire iodine paint, which you have to get from your vet due to the 40% iodine.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  5. Alyssa Hughes

I am not giving him antibiotics. As stated above.

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

That was why I asked if the antibiotic had been prescribed for his previous abscess...
    Because I couldn't remember ever giving one when horses abscessed.
    I am glad you went without it, OP!
    If your horse continues with being abscess -prone, I think you should look into hoof boots for him.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  7. Alyssa Hughes

This is the first abscess I've EVER had to deal with.

8. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Just remember that not finishing the course of antibiotics and giving antibiotics when they are not needed causes a lot of problems.

My biology class paid off. :rolleyes:

9. Alyssa Hughes

Yes I know. I just did what my vet said.

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Keep in mind too not all vets are created equal.

Even with “preventing infection” I’ve never heard of a 7 day treatment. Trust me, I’ve “prevented a lot of infections” in my day with my animals - 7 days of antibiotics has NEVER been prescribed.

But you’re right - you do as you wish.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.