Abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alyssa Hughes, May 20, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

It was for a cut on his leg, but yes it was recently. I will start him on the dose.

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I swear by Icthamol. They also sell it at CVS and other big drug stores.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

4. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

ughhh Paris had one in the same spot last year. Took quite a while to resollve, she was mildly lame on that hoof for a month and a half, it must have started in the sole and worked its way up through the hoof. She had a big gaping hole beside the hoof wall that was very deep for a long time. I Soaked in hot hot Epsom salts a couple of times a day (I used a boot, filled bottom with epsom salts and topped with hot water) wrapped with animalintex pad and duct tape the rest of the time, and worked her lightly on the lunge. It actually blew right after I lunged her one day, the movement helped work it out. She was never 3 legged lame.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  5. Alyssa Hughes

I just ordered some! It'll be here on June 1st. A pound of it :D

6. Alyssa Hughes

The part of the frog you circled is just peeling and the other circle is dirt :D

7. Alyssa Hughes

Also I need to note the redness on these photos is from being in the hot water and it no longer looks like this. It's already looking better and he's not limping because the pressure has been relieved! Who knew a abscess could cause such pain! Jeez. Is there a way to prevent abscess? If so I'd LOVE to know! 2 in a week is 2 too much...

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

No vet I know prescribes more antibiotics than is needed, so I’m confused as to why you have any left - especially a weeks worth.

Outside of that regular antibiotics & pain meds don’t tend to work on abscess well at all. Simply b/c they are to encapsulate in the hood. I haven’t ever met a vet who prescribed either for an abscess. Always just soak, pack, wrap & wait.

Glad to hear there improvement.

NaeNae, Tige Ress and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  9. Alyssa Hughes

Okay good to know. He was looking MUCH better so I didn't give him any. Our vets sell you the whole container so that's why I have some left.

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^ containers tend to have 2 weeks in them. I’ve worked in vet medicine - antibiotics are always prescribed for at least 2 weeks. Guess it’s possible to get 2 containers and have a week left - but still, don’t self medicate. That’s how you end up with antibiotic resistant bugs.