Abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alyssa Hughes, May 20, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

Sailor (my horse) has an abscess. The farrier came out and trimmed him and the abscess popped. I have wrapped it the last two days with an epsom salt and iodine poultice, but he won't keep it on for more than 12 hours. He looked good yesterday so I thought he was all good so I didn't rewrap it. This morning I went out and he's limping again (it's all muddy and I don't have a stall). So I cleaned it really good with Dawn soap and just wrapped it just to keep it clean with no poultice. How long will it take to heal and what is your recommended treatment?

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

How are you wrapping it? I would apply the poultice, wrap with gauze then cover it with a baby diaper to help keep it dry.

Then I’d wrap securely with elastikon and follow that with duct tape.

The hard part is the toe because they wear through that. I’ve had some luck fashioning a reinforcement for the toe out of a piece of thin rubber matting which you can get at a hardware store and putting that in place over the diaper.

It’s a pain to get this contraption off but it will stay on and my feet stay bone dry when I wrap them, even in six inches of slop.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Oh and soak thoroughly in warm water and Epson salts and dry with a hair dryer before you rewrap.

Alsosusieq2 and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  4. Alyssa Hughes

I did soak it in epsom salt and warm water with essential oils. I wrap it with sheet cotton then wrap it with vet wrap and duct tape it on. I am always scared of wrapping it too tight.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Alyssa Hughes

How long do you leave this on for? How do you know when it's healed enough to quit wrapping?

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I usually change it daily. As for how long, it depends on where it blew out, how much of a hole you’ve got, how deep. Also how wet your pasture is.

I wrap until it seems closed and then wrap a couple more days.

7. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

This may sound strange, but it's an old fashioned way to handle an abcess. We'd open them, pour 7% iodine in it, pack with oakum, put a pad on and reshoe the horse. Always worked for us.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  8. Alyssa Hughes

It sounds easy, although he doesn't wear shoes. :D

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Where is the abscess located and can you see how deep it is?
    Any chance you can put him on a dry lot until it is closed over?

10. Alyssa Hughes

It's below his heel bulb in the start of the frog. No there is no area that's dry whatsoever!! :mad: It's good for the pasture, but not him...