Abetta Cordura-- Reviews, anyone?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by FatSpottedAppy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. FatSpottedAppy

FatSpottedAppy Senior Member

I'm looking to get a new saddle for my new horse and I can't afford much, so I got looking into the cordura saddles. I was wondering about this,
    http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1004/20501W

Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it hold up well?

I mainly do 1-3 hour trail rides 3-5 times a week Spring-Fall and do pretty much nothing in the winter. Could it hold up to that?

2. iheartcloudnine

iheartcloudnine Senior Member+

3. FatSpottedAppy

OoOoh, thanks a bunch Caitlin. And yup, he's going in that ice blue tack which I for one think will look really cute on him. :D

4. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

I have an Abetta endurance saddle that went through a LOT of miles and held up really well! It doesn't look that pretty now (5 years later), but it's still a good saddle to ride in ;). I would HIGHLY recommend one if you're on a budget.

5. Avishay

Avishay Banned

I love Abetta saddles. I've had Big Horns and Wintecs and was totally unimpressed by both - they were uncomfortable, the big horns didn't hold up well, and the Wintec western saddles haven't fit a single horse I've tried them on, and they felt cheap. The Abetta saddles feel sturdy, are comfortable, and hold up well. Two of my clients bought them on my recommendation and have been very happy.

6. Tallpine

Tallpine Senior Member

We have two of them, a 15" and a 16"

I have had my 15" now for a little over two years and my only complaint is that it has the same built-up "ski-slope" seat that all modern western saddles have. It is very lightweight and seems to be well made considering the materials and cost. It really isn't showing any wear at all and nothing is coming apart.

I like the fact that the rigging is mounted directly to and over the tree instead of in the skirt. I'm not crazy about the lightweight plastic stirrups but they are serviceable. The nylon webbing tie strap and off billet take some getting used to but of course you could replace them with leather. The marraige of leather/nylon for the stirrup leathers is a bit weird but it works okay with the big double tongue buckle. The velcro hobbles are a joke and you should throw them as far as you can and replace them with leather/buckle hobbles or just leave them off. I turned the inside stirrup "leathers" one-half turn so the stirrups hang straight, as the cordura never really takes a "set" even stored with a broomhandle through the stirrups.

The 16" has hardly been ridden since it doesn't fit my wife's Arab mare. She (my wife, not the mare) is just about to order the Arabian version of the Abetta trail saddle.

For $300 I don't think you can do better in a new western saddle. The light weight really is nice if you have trouble heaving a heavy saddle up on your horse. You get a lot of warmth from your horse in the winter, too.

7. FatSpottedAppy

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate them.

So, do you all think they could hold up to heavy trail riding? i'm just afraid I'll get one and something will break(say, the d rings or something.) We go up very steep hills and through narrow paths in the forest..

Would the cordura Abetta brand(not just this saddle, but all of Abetta synthetic) be your first choice over other synthetic saddles made by Big Horn and other "big names"?

Thanks again.

8. Tallpine

Tallpine Senior Member

My neighborhood is piney hills with lots of short steep hills and deep coulees. No problems so far, though I really should get a breast collar someday just for insurance. The metal d-rings ain't gonna break ;) though the flank cinch attachments aren't much (but who needs a flank cinch unless you are roping and these definitely aren't roping saddles :rolleyes: ).

The nylon web tie strap and off billiet is probably stronger and safe than leather, though as I said it takes some getting used to as it feels flimsy compared to thicker leather. I'm guessing that overall you're more likely to have a catastrophic failure with a leather saddle, as leather is an organic product subject to rot. (nothing wrong with a leather saddle - you just have to check and maintain it more carefully)

As to comparison with other brands, I have no experience.

My wife just ordered another one (Arab bars) from State Line Tack. We have a 16" SQH that we hardly ever ride because the seat is too big for me and it doesn't fit her mare. We'll see someday how it fits the colt I guess ....

9. seaecho

seaecho Senior Member

I have an an Abetta endurance that I have mixed feelings about. I love the price. You can't beat it. And I love the easy care; just hose it off if it gets dirty, and just brush dust off if it gets dusty. And the lightweight can't be beat! If you're used to cushy seats, its not the most comfortable seat for long rides, although you could always buy a seat cover. The thing I don't like, and this is probably purely personal, since I have a hard to fit horse, is it bridges a bit on the sides, and pops up just a bit in the back. That bothers me, thinking it might be putting too much pressure in the front of the saddle. Its semi quarter horse bars, and the gullet is perfect, but I think my TWH, who has prominent, shark fin, long withers and not enough muscling on his topline and beside his withers, is just plain hard to fit. His ribs aren't well sprung, which again, is common in gaited horses. Otherwise, I have no complaints on the saddle. And for the average horse (my Arab included) its a great, inexpensive saddle that looks good and holds up very well!

10. seaecho

seaecho Senior Member

Oh, one more thing. Replace the off billet with leather if you buy an Abetta! Its the first thing I did. I've read that with both the off billet and the tie strap being nylon, its very easy to overtighten it without realizing it. The leather off billet offsets this possibility.