A very dumb question about horse ear language

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by foxtrot, Nov 4, 2016.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I couldn't figure out what section to put this in so here we go!

I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of reading horse body language, including their ears. Normally when a horse has its ears pointed behind itself it's either listening to something else, relaxed, or tense based on exactly how the ears are angled... but if you talk to a horse, or whistle to get its attention, or whatever, the ears usually come forward as it focuses on you... riiiiight?

One of my boys is incredibly sweet, he's literally like a puppy dog and will just follow you around wanting scratches. He's happy, he's sound and his ears don't bother him (he doesn't react at all when you handle them), and he's definitely never disrespectful or posturing towards people. But his ears virtually -never- come forward unless he's really focused on something, and that only happens rarely. Is this just a weird quirk or does it show he's not totally at ease? Usually he's kinda eyeballing the other horses even if they aren't directly by him (he isn't bullied but is definitely bottom of the pecking order).

I know this probably seems like a really stupid question, but he's the only horse I've ever known that doesn't put his ears forward, even when begging for treats. :p

He's so sweet, but he looks so cranky all the time lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just to prove they CAN come forward:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    TheSnowLeopard and Arem like this.
  2. CupcakeCoquette

CupcakeCoquette Full Member

I feel like this is a mystery that can best be solved by everyone loading into the forum van and examining those fuzzy fuzzy ears in person. XD

3. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

LOL he'd be in paradise! :p

I just discovered his favorite itchy spot, right between his front legs. He goes insane with his eyes rolling back in bliss and his lips wigging around. But even then those ears stay back! lol

Varisha and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He's ignoring you. My Mule does the same thing. I had a horse called Nosey, he ignored the crape out of anyone talking UNLESS he thought they had something to eat.

Not a biggie.

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I figured it was probably something along those lines. I should mention this horse is also like OVER desensitized to the point where it's tough to get him to react to anything. He's so passive that you can wave your arms and clap your hands and he just kinda looks at you. Once he was running in the wrong stall, I had a driving whip nearby so I waved it at him to try to get him to change course. He just kept walking towards me and I had to stop waving it or else it would have hit him. :rolleyes:

It's just funny to me more than anything since his ears make him look super fierce despite being such a mellow little dude.

6. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Maddy definitely does this.

I call the face a number of things. But it's best described by "indignant".

She does this face all during being tacked up, if you brush too hard, if she notices her water is empty. She's a smart mare but easily annoyed. Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_390723863715444.gif

Idrivetrotter and foxtrot like this.
  7. manesntails

No, you don't stop it, you let him hit it. How else will he learn what it means? You got a mini that was "loved on'' to the point of making him unresponsive. He'd probably walk out in front of a train and stand there thinking it's going to stop and pet him.

NOT good.

8. Friesiangirl

Yep these two could be pals.

Maddy was a princess who could do NO WRONG. We had many come to Jesus moments.

Maybe it does have something to do with their complete confidence in their needs being met. When you start to lay down the rules they get bratty. You can't give into that, especially then. Otherwise they've got your number.

9. manesntails

[​IMG]

Is this picture moving or am I having a seizure?

10. Friesiangirl

It's moving. I didn't notice it was a gif until later.

Also its just a Harry Potter inspired post and also I haven't had coffee yet