1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

a 'Roarer'?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Stary, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whbar158

whbar158 Senior Member

I think it totally depends on what level you are talking about, if you are talking about BN/N I don't see a problem for the most part. Many horses out there roar to a certain extent and many are completely ok doing their job. I only know 1 horse that has had a problem and you could hear that poor horse from the other side of the ring. But quite a few jumpers that do the bigger stuff are roarers, I can hear them while they are on course and ride by. Wouldn't be my first choice for a horse, but really most are completely fine to do "normal" jobs. Of course I wouldn't want one to run upperlevel evening but lower level wouldn't bother me.

2. Javanewt

Javanewt Senior Member+

It depends on the severity. I have a roarer that I wouldn't consider doing cross country with. It'd be too much for him. He had tie-forward and tie-back surgeries when he was younger to "fix" the problem and get him to the track, but neither worked.

Remember, too, you can't do hunters with a roarer. This guy was doing 3'6", but he was too loud for the show ring:( Actually, that was good for me, because his owners gave him to me as a husband horse. He's wonderful for that.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

We had roarers on the track. The flap doesn't work so it just hangs in the way. NO BIGGIE. We RACED roarers and they raced good, they just make noise. When the air is expelled it pushes the flap out of the way and when inhaling, same thing. It doesn't really make a difference except for the fact it's noisy and annoying. If you don't mind noisy and annoying, and he's fit and sound, you might have a bargain there. If you do mind noisy and annoying and he's fit and sound you can get a tie-back surgery done on it. On the track it's not a big deal. Not that expensive. Never had one choke after having a tie back surgery and never had one start roaring again either.

4. Stary

Stary Full Member

I'm going to try to look at this horse this weekend- I'm also really curious now lol

Does anyone know how much a tie-back surgery might cost?

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Call up the nearest Vet University and ask them if they have anyone experienced in doing it there and how much it costs. On the track, the Vets we had do it often enough that they are quite sucessful with it. I wouldn't want a vet doing it who'd only "heard" about this surgery but never performed any.

2 people like this.
  6. pitchblackdam38

pitchblackdam38 Senior Member

It can be fixed with surgery but most cases always transgress back. I knew a roarer, had two surgeries to repair the larynix, both failed to stay open. The horse was a good horse, but very lazy and hard to get moving. We retired him early from the school program. I think if his passage way had remained open he would have been a very lovely horse, but in all sense he couldn't breath and probably lacked oxygen to his brain.

Expect costs around $2000.00-2500.00. I would say move on from this horse.

7. Stary

Stary Full Member

Ok, thanks for the responses. I don't think I'll get him, there are other horses in my area that are perfectly fine an healthy

2 people like this.
  8. SuZQuzie

SuZQuzie Senior Member+

There is so much misinformation in this thread. I know of roarers that have gone the eventing route, one up to 4*. Also surgery is possible.

2 people like this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I have experience with one and I would steer clear. It wasn't my horse, but belonged to a friend.

He had the surgery done and it really didn't help much. The horses couldn't lope for very long and we had to stop in the middle of big hills on rides so he could catch his breath. Needless to say, he went to a kids walk/trot show home.

There are too may heathly horses out there to mess with one that has issues IMO. I;d keep looking.

1 person likes this.
  10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Are you crazy?!

I just watched a show on this a few months ago. They scoped the TB race horse while he was working and the flap interfered with the breathing. I would imagine it feels a lot like having asthma. Would you want to be made to run while having difficulty breathing? IMO, making a horse work without taking care of the problem is border-line abusive. I can't imagine those horses were racing up to their full abilities with diffuculty breathing. If they were good horses WITH the issue, I bet they would have been amazing animals if someone would have took the time and $ to have them fixed the RIGHT way.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.