A reminder why we must look more than just "skin deep"

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rhythm 'n Blues, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Something to keep in mind for everyone!

Had I not witnesses the cause of this superficial wound, I wouldn't have thought much of it. Because I did......I knew how hard of a blow he took to that hip when he crashed into the 6"x6" post at a gallop.

Horse stood stock square, dead even hips....vet even looked him over the day after it occurred & was shocked he didn't chip the hip bone, but said he looks just fine & not to worry, I did the right thing applying liniment & giving him time off. Still when riding on any bending line I could feel ...something was not right. My typical saint of a horse was explosive & unable to comply with simple requests.

Turns out his Pelvis was all out of whack, but NO outside symptoms at rest or visible issues when watching him move. (not even to my eyes)

Thank goodness for a good chiropractor! Fez is on the road to recovery! The wooden post will be a constant reminder to me to always look more than just "skin deep"

[​IMG]

Winchester, Varisha, SEAmom and 8 others like this.
  2. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Thanks for the reminder......hope Fez soon feels better.

manesntails and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

WOW, that was a heck of a wack...hope he is 100% better soon

4. Chester

Chester Senior Member

Senny has done similar. He did escape with nothing lucky for him. But I did the same, linament and days off.

Horses love to find ways to injure themself.

Maybe Fez will learn not to try taking corners flat out.

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Also an important reminder to trust your senses. You could feel that something wasn't right. You know your horse. I've had that occur as well - no knowledge of any injury or incident, horse is square, no lameness visible. But she just feels... off. Wrong. No one can see anything - I ask everyone in the arena. But I know. And I get off, call the chiropractor, and she's profoundly out of whack somewhere.

Knowing your horse and what feels "normal" is so important.

Winchester, efiggy, TLFC and 7 others like this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

It was a good whack for sure!

Sad thing was he wasn't feeling well that day......he didn't come when I called like he usually does....and he was hesitant to eat his grain. Something was up....sadly it linked up to this :(

He's still quite sore. Hopefully he'll come back quickly though.

manesntails and rhinebeck like this.
  7. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Have you taken TPR and checked his gums? There's always the possibility of infection in a wound or he could have an upset GI system. Why do horses have to be fragile?

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

No chance of infection! Vet was out the next day, so he was checked over. I can only think he had a very mild case of gas colic the day it occurred.

He is acting fine now - totally himself except for still being a bit sore.

9. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

So glad to see good horseman like yourself take what their horse is trying to tell them and act upon it. Also great your giving him time off to heal. Currently dealing with a deep puncture wound on my Quarter Horse mare and while she acts "normal", walks, eats, etc...the vet was a bit surprised exactly how deep it was but thank goodness it didn't go into the muscle and tear there.

Jingles to you both!

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  10. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Wow, it looks like he got into a bar fight with the post and took a serious loss. Poor guy! Glad you thought to get the chiro out and he's back on the road to feeling better!