A kind eye?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MelissaH, Apr 18, 2005.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member+

I was told my horse had a kind eye. How can you tell? What's the difference. say, between a kind eye and an unkind eye? Is it a matter of temperment?

2. DoWeDance

DoWeDance Senior Member+

Yeah, it's temperment. If a horse has a kind eye, they are usually very benevolent- looking (i.e. no laying back of the ears, baring teeth, lol).

3. sian

sian Senior Member+

also if you look intoa horses eye you can almost like read their mind!!! you can see a bit about their temprement......you can see calmness, anger, fear in a horses eye....its kinda amazing.......have a look and you should see what i mean :)

4. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

I also read somewhere that horses with big soft eyes are easy to train, while horses with smaller beadier eyes are harder.... Don't know if it's true or not, but my NSH mare has the biggest kindest eyes and she is a snap to train. You show her something one time and she's picked up on it.

5. Cowgirl2135

Cowgirl2135 Senior Member+

Appylvr, that statement is no no. LOL.
    I had trained many horses and that statement it not true at all.

6. horse_luvr83

horse_luvr83 Senior Member+

makes sense, i have heard this as well. Hope has large eyes, and she has been SOOO easy to train. and when she gets nervous, she cow hops some, or goes in circles, but when i say whoa, she stops in her tracks. she has been totally amazing... i sure hope i have good luck with her on barrels.

7. ILoveRedRanger!

ILoveRedRanger! Senior Member+

i guess its the way the person takes in the way the horse looks. my horse has a kind looking eye ... but my sisters horse doenst really because the white of the eye is showing and the way she acts

8. riding_reaper

riding_reaper Senior Member+

I read an article on this a while ago
    small eye- small, beaty eye. The horse sometimes doesnt like to cooperate and can be untrusting. Like a beaty eyed person you cant trust them as much. And can be harder to get motivated.
    Average eyed- Larger eye having some noticable white around the pupil. Is a little more trusting than small eye but still can be stubborn and lazy. Exception on a breeds trait for white around the pupil.
    Kind eye- Big, round, expressive eyes. Very moist and nice looking. This horse will cooperate and is usually very trusting and easy to work with.
    If your horse has a kind eye that is a very good thing! ;)

9. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

The eyeball is always the same size. It just depends on the shape of the face / eyebrow around the eye that makes it appear to be larger or smaller.

10. buggywhipp

buggywhipp Senior Member+

My mare has a "kind" eye. And she has the best temperment. Very sweet girl.