A feed that is close to Seminole Wellness SAFE & LITE ?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Grandsgirl2003, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Grandsgirl2003

Grandsgirl2003 Senior Member+

I Currently feed Seminole Wellness SAFE & LITE to all my horses, and it works great for them.

Here is the link:http://www.seminolefeed.com/WellnessWebsite/ProductSheetsforWeb/WellnessSafeLitePellet.htm

My question is, is there a comparable feed out there that is close to this one? I have to drive some distance to get it, which makes it very inconvenient for me. At the same time I feel that it is worth it because the horses look so great on it.

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

What other brands of feed do you have access to? That'd probably be a bit easier. Also how much of it are you feeding to each horse?

3. Grandsgirl2003

My qrt mare gets 1 3/4 pounds a day, 3/4 pounds in the morning, 1 pound at night. Then the mini's get a 1 pound morning, 1 pound night. This is between 4 mini's.

I have legends, nutrena, Purina and dumor feeds near me.

4. Grandsgirl2003

There is also a tack store that has Pennfield feed, but they don't keep stocked up that well.

5. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Since you have Legends, you also have Triple Crown?

They're pretty much the only company out of those that will stock a similar feed that also fits the way you're feeding. Which would be Triple Crown Lite. The Triple Crown 30% supplement would also work for how you're feeding, but the Lite is closer to what you're currently feeding.

6. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Oh wait, Legends has something that is similar as well, let me look up the name.
    Performance Pelleted
    (Note, Performance Textured is a different feed and not comparable.)

It is very comparable to the Seminole Safe & Lite, but would not work for how you're currently feeding your horses. So yes, but no at the same time. Iow, nevermind ;)

Dumor also has/had StablEnergy which is comparable to Triple Crown Lite. But your TSC will be switching to Purina/Nutrena (if they haven't already) and won't be carrying the StablEnergy.

7. Grandsgirl2003

My tractor supply is keeping Dumor, I asked. So your saying go with Triple Crown Lite?

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Really?! So potentially I might still be able to order what I'm using...Potentially not, but there is hope!

Yep, given your options, I would try Triple Crown Lite. If that doesn't work, I'd try Dumor StablEnergy.

Now both of those (assuming your mare is ~1000 lbs) would require at least 2 lbs a day which is slightly more than you're currently feeding. If that is a problem, then you'd need to go with the TC 30%.

9. Grandsgirl2003

Do you happen to have an analysis for the StablEnergy?

I talked to my TSC manager and he said they would only be getting rid of the platform feeds. I feed Dumor mare and foal to my lactating mini's so I was brand specific. It may differ from area though. I have nothing but good things to say about Dumor.

10. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

I'll grab one when I go to the barn next (might be a couple of days). It's a grain free, relatively compact nutrition feed. (Not as compact as a ration balancer, but more than most traditional feeds.)