A Dressage Corner

Discussion in 'Blogs (Horse Forum)' started by Alsosusieq2, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I thought it was time to have an area for those interested in dressage to be able to chat. I'm sure there's quite a few that'd like to discuss some issues and keep a running thread going.

I'm only starting this, I'm too rusty to remember the things I've forgotten..so I'll defer to others knowledge. I hope to get a good read out of this and hope you do also.

Nu5ha likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

It's not new news but fairly recent, formal top hats are going by the wayside in lieu of protective headgear. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't done sooner but old traditions die hard. I'll miss the beauty, but safety trumps beauty. Doesn't affect me, I don't compete. I haven't heard any scuttlebutt, I figure most are fine with it. It sure is going to be different.

3. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

I actually prefer helmets to top hats. Maybe it's because I only got into the dressage world a couple years ago, so that's what I'm used to, but I think top hats look a bit tacky. On me, anyway :p

Sky Cloud and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

I should have prefaced it being required at upper level competitions. I don't remember the exact specifications. It's part of the beauty of it to me, but I think it's a good thing.

Sky Cloud likes this.
  5. Squeaksmom

Squeaksmom Senior Member

Another helmet lover here. After several concussions, I'm more into safety than looks!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Hope that this oddball from the Western World of dressage is welcome here..though to be honest I really feel that we have an English trained rider, riding an English trained horse, in Western tack doing traditional dressage, and actually after initially rebelling at that thought, I now have zero issue with it. Fergie and I are learning so much, and improving our partnership, I don't really care what labels are put on what we do.

I think helmets are a great choice for everyone, I love mine now it has got the HellHat treatment, and looks kind of Western. But I am a heathen anyway, I would love to see the dress code for dressage changed away from black coats, white pants and top hats, to dark breeches and polo shirts. They look smart, don't show the dirt, makes far more sense on a hot day...

froglander and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Squeaksmom

Squeaksmom Senior Member

But then what about the pretty pretty show coat I just bought??!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Tige Ress

Tige Ress Full Member

I am still no where near the top hat area of dressage.......

But I love to learn and talk about dressage!

Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  9. Squeaksmom

Squeaksmom Senior Member

I'm not either @Tige Ress but it never hurts to dream!

Alsosusieq2 and Tige Ress like this.
  10. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Well I think my ponys jumping days are over I will hopefully be converting him to dressage when he's able to be ridden.
    I'm good with basic flat work, he's good with some advanced moves with an advanced dressage rider (not me) even have a dressage saddle well I've been told by dressage riders if I want to do serious dressage I will need to change saddle but that's a loooonh way away so I'm also no where near the top hat area of dressage. So can't wait to put my stirrups 5 holes down and see what we can do. Oh and not to forget find a dressage trainer. Fun fun

GONE ROPING and mooselady like this.