A barrel racers confo

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by HeartsPocoPine, Oct 17, 2010.

1. HeartsPocoPine

HeartsPocoPine Senior Member

I always love expanding my knowlege of horses, I know there are alot of Barrel racers on here, and I want to know what an ideal barrel horses confo would be (pics would be cool too:D) and explaination of it too...

2. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

What I look for in a horse is:
    1. Well muscled forearms
    2.nice sloping shoulder
    3. higher neck tie in
    4.medium length back
    5.strong muscular sloped croup
    6.strong gaskins
    7.hocks in between post legged and sickled hocked
    8.correct knees
    9.medium to long neck

What I stay away from
    1.low neck tie in
    2. short back
    3.overly long back
    4.Straight hocks
    5.bad knees
    6.weak flat croup
    7.bad pastern angles

[​IMG]
    hes a tad over at the knee though and Id like his hocks to be a little lower set...an aged photo of Corona Cartel

3. mozart

mozart Banned

Wish I had better photos on my computer.

[​IMG]

Deep heartgirth, reasonable length of back, slightly too-upright of neck (but beats level or lowered neck any day), too steep of croup but this does allow for "gettin' down" to turn hard, clean straight legs, good pastern angle and lenght, shoulder a bit too upright but not horrible, neck overmuscled underneath (but this comes from bracing on turns), could use higher withers for saddle stability. The contours of this horse don't necessarily look all that flashy or ideal--but she is a hella fast 1D barrel horse who oozes heart and natural talent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OpenRange

OpenRange Senior Member

Just wondering why you prefer a sickle hocked horse. (I'm just curious because my one barrel horse is slightly sickle hocked and people are telling me barrel racing is extremely hard on a sickle hocked horse. I'm kinda confused. :confused:)

5. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

I like the way your girl is built!
    Although, Id like to see more depth to her shoulder and a longer better muscled neck. But heck, 1D is 1D man!!

6. Tduke

Tduke Senior Member

I always look for:
    Nice big eye.
    Nice clean throatlatch.
    Medium rise of the withers.
    Good sloping shoulder, not too sharp, not too flat.
    Deep heart girth.
    Shorter back then underline.
    Strong loin.
    Nice full ribcage.
    A lot of length from the tip of the tail to where the gaskin ties in.
    Strong gaskin muscle, and wide hock (the width of the hock gives the horse more strength)
    Short cannon bone.
    The hoof should have a nice heal, and round foot.

7. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

Noooo lol I dont prefer it!
    I posted between post hocked and sickled hocked. And correct, it is slightly harder. However, Ive been on some sickle hocked horses that got up under themselves and turned like you wouldnt believe!!

8. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

IMO my boy Cash is ALMOST built perfectly for barrel racing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wish he wasnt quite as long and had a little more slope to his croup. His hocks are perfect IMO

9. mozart

mozart Banned

Yeah, the gray mare's neck is short and thick--forgot to mention that. But it works for her, because she likes to get bendy around a barrel (you can see in one pic), and she'd be noodle-neck with floppy-butt if her neck was longer or thinner. It's really interesting seeing how different conformations in horses relates to totally different running and turning styles. Also, the one confo pic makes her look finer-boned than she actually is. In reality, she has perfectly adequate and normal bone structure. In the confo pic, too, she's coming off of months of lay-up and stall rest. When she's muscled up and working, she's got a badonkadonk rear end (minus the ski slope croup). She's only 15 hands, but she's got a huge stride on her. Unfortunately, she managed to hurt herself in the pasture one day two Mays ago and did serious damage to her deep digital flexor and navicular suspensory in one leg. Keeping her sound is a constant battle. I only got to go to a half dozen barrel races this year (and she won her first BBR with very limited seasoning/hauling in her whole life!) before she took a mis-step in the pasture again (funny how these things never happen while we're running barrels) and injured the collateral ligaments on the same leg. I don't know if she'll get to go back to the pen or not. If she injures that leg again, she's definitely done for good. Once in a lifetime horse, for sure. And I paid (if you consider the free board and half price shoeing/vet care I got for six months after purchasing her) around $200 for her.

10. OpenRange

OpenRange Senior Member

Ohhhh. My bad. I read it wrong. Haha.

That's how my horse is! She gets really under herself and turns sooooo hard. I just get worried it'll be too hard on her. I've been told she would make a good pleasure horse. :eek: