1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

8 month colt needing weight/nutrition

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Whirlwind, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Kristal I think that area was from an ill fitted blanket. I remember her saying it rubbed his mane out funky.

Quarter Girl likes this.
  3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

Yeah, he has a bald gap there due to the blanket rubbing his mane off and makes it look very strange and appear "indented".

Its hard to see in pictures but there is almost no "meat" on his shoulder. And his chest area is fairly angular and feels quite bony. His topline/hips aren't too bad but he had that protrusion of the spine you see in slightly underweight horses. He also has his winter fluff still. He doesn't look "horrible" just looks a bit under weight and not much muscle. Its much easier to see in person...which is why I felt a video might show it better but of course, forgot again while at the barn...

Could just be me over worrying but he looks like he is lacking something to me...

Quarter Girl likes this.
  4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

I'd be happy if I'm just seeing things though!!!! :D

Quarter Girl likes this.
  5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

He looks a lot stockier in pictures to me lol Here, I put some lines to try and show better, specifically his hip and shoulder...what I am talking about. On his shoulder area where the arrow is pointing, that is bony...his whole shoulder blade region feels very hard/bony with little muscle...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

6. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Full Member

Ok that's a way better pic. When you groom him with a curry comb across the ribs is it like a bunch of rumble strips? Few extra pounds would do him some good

7. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

I can feel his rips, but they are not "rumble strip" prominent...

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Muscle will build as he gets good exercise with his better nutrition.... I have seen many in much much worse shape.

He is butt high in his growth pattern and that always makes them look a bit odd...I think you will see a big difference on 3 months of good care.

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

If hes not flat/ concave under the hip fur, I think you & he are doing okay. His body may even take advantage of the better nutrition to do a growth surge/ spurt, and he'll look lean & lanky & angular/ ribbby.. the the growth goes back into gain-weight mode.
    Imo give yourself time (week min) to see if feed changes are having an effect before amping up. And allow for effect of growth/ weight see-saw. Does he have flesh on butt, ribs, forearms, shape to neck? Crest? Thats hints his weights ok imo.
    Also be very careful uber feeding if you dont know his background. enthusiastic but unknowing volunteers decided BOs mare & weanling set should be fed "well".. show & grow... and tripped their unknown HYPP tendency. Baby was diagnosed later, after very very sick 'colic' & scary clinic trip. Mare had a bad bout & was pts. They wouldve been ok on basic barn feed (pellets) enough of it; shed still be Alive. Colt is a big & otherwise healthy gelding now, on a basic complete pellet. All he needed.

Quarter Girl likes this.