8 month colt needing weight/nutrition

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Whirlwind, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

The colt we got, is too skinny. Previous owner had him on 12% sweet feed, and limited hay and was kept in a small pen (he could not get up to a run). She had him for 4-5 months I believe. He has no muscle on his shoulder and his top line, hip and neck is weak looking. He definitely needs better nutrition. He is on free choice hay, and we got a feed that is 14% protein, 10% fat, 15% fiber. Is this sufficient or can someone recommend something better? (woman at feed store recommended this to us, it is Sentinel Grow & Excel)

I have a weight tape coming so I can better estimate his weight.

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

Will get more pictures today, pics I took yesterday are really flattering, but can't really see what I am talking about, perhaps a video will show better. Not to mention his winter coat hides it a bit as well.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I really like the Ultium Growth for my baby, but perhaps @Kristal H should weigh in, I think she knows more about it.
    Good free choice hay and a bigger area will no doubt be a step in the right direction!

4. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I really liked TC Growth when my colt was growing. He was always in good weight and muscle even though the only work he got was whatever he did in the pasture. Plus he was on free choice high quality grass hay.

endurgirl likes this.
  5. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

I have had excellent results with triple crown growth.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I have sucessfuly fed both Ultium and TC growth to foals. Ultium is higher in copper and if you have any OCD concerns I would use the Ultium as copper has been shown beneficial in treating OCD and tendon issues. I have also used TC senior for foals that I want on a lower NSC diet. I have not used the sentenial the fat and protien looks good, what is the copper, cal and Phos? Start at about 2 lbs Am and PM and then work up to the horse per the recommendation on the bag.

Foals need protien to grow and develop muscle, they need an average of 14% protien in their diet. I like to feed a mix of Alflafa and Timothy hay. This helps keep the protien level up where I want it and also provides the all important cal/Phos ratio.

DelP and endurgirl like this.
  7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I just read the sentenial lable, I think it is a better feed than many but mineral wise and balance it is not as good as Ultium or TC growth.

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

Ok will look into Ultium and TC growth! But glad the grow and excel is ok. Thank You :)

We are feeding timothy hay, he gets as much as he wants. I don't think its possible to see a difference in 24 hrs but he looked better to me tonight for some reason lol probably just in my head though! :rolleyes:

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

He probably feels much better to have a tummy full of good clean hay..

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

Phosphorus: 0.65%
    Copper: 55 ppm
    Calcium: Min-0.65%
    Max- 1.15%