4H Speech Ideas Needed :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FallenAngel, Oct 16, 2007.

1. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Senior Member+

Im in an Equine studies/ 4H class at one of my schools and we have to write a speech. Well im no good at these :rolleyez: lol

I need an idea on what i want to talk about. I want something that no one else would be talking about, and it has to be interesting! I have to talk about it for around 5 minutes.

My first choice would be something horse related. But it could be anything.. ? Any ideas? :)

2. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

How about breeding responsibly? You could include what happens to the unwanted foals... I would think there is plenty of subject matter on this one!

3. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

Hmm I'm trying to remember what some of my speaches were about...I was in 4-H for 8 years and went on to Districts in Public Speaking a few times. I did speaches on PMU farms, Princess Diana, some political issues that were going on Alberta at the time when I was a teen...my first year I was 9 years old though and I did a speach on my dog LOL!!

Do you get to do impromptus??? I love impromtus! I really liked public speaking, wish I could still compete LOL

4. Amber.Molly

Amber.Molly Senior Member+

I did my speeches on sign language, old people and picking a career or something (that one was boring). But there were others that were good! One girl did a speach on how laughter effects people, that was my favorite! Horse related - my friend did a speach on slaughter, or the many uses for horses...

Anywho! that's a few :) have fun with it!

5. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

You can't think like that! Public speaking, more than almost anything in the whole world, is about faking it. It's interesting, you can tell yourself all you want that you are a great rider or can play the violin, but when push comes to shove if you don't have the training you'll fall flat- public speaking is different- if you tell yourself you are an excellent public speaker, believe it, act like it- you ARE. :)

Open with a short story. Do an intro. Make three points. Sum up your three points in a conclusion. Deliver it by speaking loudly, clearly, and not too fast, put your shoulders back, make eye contact, smile, and you'll get an instant A. :cool:

6. Quick2Skip01

Quick2Skip01 Senior Member+

Good advice Lindsayanne! I completely agree, before I took public speaking classes I was horrified, and then I got through them and realized its not that hard its just all about getting up there, acting like your fine and getting it done!

PMU mares/farms is usually a topic that is not discussed much

When I was in FFA I competed in public speaking and my speech was about orthopedic diseases in young horses. Took 2nd @ districts with it, and then couldnt compete @ regionals because of a competitive cheer meet.

7. FallenAngel

Any other ideas? :)

Or do you guys think the PMU mares/farms would be a good one ?
    I have no idea about that one though.

8. imacowgirl2

imacowgirl2 Senior Member+

I personally would not do PMU farms, because they are such a controversial topic it is very hard to find unbiased information for your reasearch.

I would stick to something else...talk about your favorite breed, English vs. Western tack, difference between a snaffle and curb bit (this one is especially fun if you have a number of different bits to bring in and can show people them), or something else along those lines. Keep it interesting/detailed enough to hold the attention of horse people, yet simple enough to keep the attention of the non-horse people who might not ever need the info again ;)

Also wanted to add, 5 minutes is not very long at all...make sure you really practice your speech a LOT at home so that you get the timing right ;)

9. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

If you want to do PMU farms I would be wiling to help you out. I worked in one for 4 years and my aunt and uncle used to own one before the shut downs in Alberta. I might be a little "biased" but I do have a lot of facts I could share that you could make your own opinion about.

10. FallenAngel

Do you think that alot of people would be doing speeches on slaughter?