4H Horse Judging Event

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by LanaAppy, Feb 23, 2017.

1. LanaAppy

LanaAppy Registered

Hello, I am a member of the large youth organization, 4-H, and I will be attending a Hippology competetion in 2 weeks at NC State University! This isn't exactly a riding event but equestrian nevertheless. I think my biggest struggle will be bit ID and horse judging (i've been to training but I still need more practice :)). I was wondering if any of you have ever done horse judging and have some tips or good practice examples/sites you could share with me? As well as some good places to look at bits to ID, or have some photos to share for practice? Thank y'all!

2. spec

spec Full Member

Horsejudging.com
    Make an account there and you can watch videos, vote on placings and see how you did. You have to pay for some of them, though. The "plus" account is pretty cheap though, worth looking into.

LanaAppy likes this.
  3. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I like to watch the videos people post online. You can usually see enough from the other horses in the class to place them on your own. Bonus if the people include the class placings in their video. You can learn a lot that way. I also like to watch the AQHA Judge's Perspective videos from the world show. The judge talks about the strengths in the riders they see.

LanaAppy likes this.
  4. QHshowmanship

QHshowmanship Senior Member

Way back when I was in 4H...I think 2005? Our team won the PA State Horse Judging competition. I placed 7th out of 108...I remember it so vividly because it was a shock. I just placed them on my own way and gave a speech that shocked myself, lol.

But, I will say - that I got the AQHA handbook on judging. Read that, over and over. It really helped me in what to look for. I think I handed mine off to another 4Her, but it was very helpful.

Actually, it looks like they have something very similar online!
    https://www.aqha.com/media/16202/7100-15-589-judging-manual.pdf