1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

45 year old Arabian mare!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by meljean, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Eugene Cassels

Eugene Cassels Senior Member+

I retired a broodmare at age 22 and continued riding her until age 34 she was put down at age 35 A quarter horse mare. Her daughter also lived untill32 and was rode the day before she died.

2. CLOUDNINE

CLOUDNINE Senior Member+

I never rode him but my business partner years ago had a TB gelding that she taught lessons on that was still teaching at 34. He passed at 36. My old pony made it to 34 and was still being ridden at 32. I also have a 35 yr old QH gelding that has been retired since he was 31 :D He looks great but his legs don't work as well anymore ;)

This old girl looks great :D

3. WildHorseSpirit

WildHorseSpirit Senior Member+

26 my ole QH mare I lost in 2005

4. WindyIndy

WindyIndy Senior Member

WOW!! She is well taken care of, she doesn't even look her age! Simply stunning! :loveflag:

5. WindyIndy

WindyIndy Senior Member

Oh and for the oldest horse you've ever ridden question. My POA pony was going on 24 before colic took her life, I miss her SO much, she was my first horse, and very special to me.:)

6. MiakodaAPBT

MiakodaAPBT Senior Member+

The first horse I rode (other than pony rides) when starting lessons at 7 was a 24-year-old been there, done that Arabian mare. If my infatuation with Walter Farley's The Black Stallion didn't do it all for me, this sealed the deal. I knew then that the Arabian was for me.

The oldest horse I ever rode was a neighbor's 33-year-old Quarab. I'm wrote him sporadically from when I was 10 until 12. He passed away at 37.

7. zett

zett Senior Member

Wow, she doesn't even look 25!

8. BlingRacer

BlingRacer Senior Member+

Our oldest is 26 and barrel raced right up until an injury took her out earlier this year. We still ride her, but only at the walk and trot

9. kittxthexcat

kittxthexcat Senior Member+

They had an article on her 3 years ago when she was 42! Dont remember if i posted about her or someone else. Just remember the vt saying he guessed her to be around 20 and still in good enough shape to carry a foal!

10. qtrhrs

qtrhrs Senior Member+

Yesterday I rode a 30 y/o appaloosa for a couple of hours; she's still my #1 pick for long trail rides in the mountains. The quarter horse I had when I was young was 35 when he finally retired from being ridden, and 36 when he died.