-40°F Wind-chill will my horse be ok?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by FleetFeet, Jan 31, 2011.

1. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Senior Member+

I made the mistake of reading the weather today for the area I pasture board my horse...its south east of Denver on the plains and the weather tends to be much worse there when storms come in.

Well...the weather the next couple days and nights is going to be between -4°F to -15°F with the wind chill between -15°F to -40°F :eek::eek::eek:

She has been out on pasture 24/7 all winter with no blanket, but this is by far the coldest weather we have had so far. She has free access to really good hay and heated water, but still -40°F!!! Poor pony :(

Will she make it out alive?

2. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

she should be okay, if she has been out in it and has a good coat. If you could put up a wind break or lean-to type shelter, it would not hurt, but if she has hay and water she should be okay as long as she does not get wet. that does sound rough though!

3. Trace

Trace Senior Member+

She should be fine - is she in a herd? Is there gullies and trees etc?

Where is she - I know that area pretty well - used to board all over....

4. daisykristy

daisykristy Senior Member+

Does she have shelter? If you happen to have a blanket handy, (especially one thats waterproof) It wouldn't hurt to put a blanket on her. It may ease the stress of surviving the cold. (and it works wonders for your own peace of mind) but if you don't, just make sure she has a shelter and can get to it and check on her to make sure she's coping.

I'm sure you'll get lots of pros/cons on blanketing now... I do blanket my horses, mainly so they don't have to stress about the cold. They have shelter available but they aren't dominate enough to guarantee them a spot in the shelter. They are always toasty warm when I put my hands under the blanket. We also get very cold here in the mid-west. When temps start changing to 30's and up, I'll switch to a light "windbreaker" type blanket.

One thing thats certain about blanketing, it really pays to have a sewing machine. Those squirrelly beasts sure know how to rip them. (that applies to both blankets and gas :D )

5. Purpledomino

Purpledomino Senior Member+

If she has been outside without a blanket up until now that is good, she will have grown a good coat and be more climatized. As long as she has free access to hay and warm water (she does) is a good weight and healthy, she will be fine.

My thermometer this morning is at -35C with no windchill....and my guys are happy campers eating their hay. Does your horse some sort of shelter to get out of the wind?

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

It's one thing to have been out 24x7 all Winter, but if this is well below normal, she could still be cold.

I don't know how much wind it takes to take a temp of -15 to a wind chill of -40, but wind taking things down there is a lot different than an absolute temperature down that low. When the wind blows, it takes away the insulating properties of a fluffed coat.

7. QtrHrsMomma

QtrHrsMomma Senior Member

She should be fine...we get that sort of weather here and my guys all do fine... up the hay and make sure they have adequate shelter.

8. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member+

We had a similar day a week ago and I ended up blanketing. Athena barely had a winter coat (we had spring temps around christmas so it messed with her hair growth).. it was there but not thick enough to make sure she was comfortable to handle the cold.

I went out that day.. and it hurt to breathe as I walked through the barn. I went out to the paddock.. everybody was scrunched up and just LOOKED cold. I turn to find athena and what do I find? her standing in the middle of the field asleep in the cold sunlight.

It was enough for me to be happy I blanketed her.

And I haven't blanketed her in 2 YEARS btw.. she's usually such a hairy beast that she goes up a halter size.. but she's the same size as she normally is she has such little winter coat.

Good luck :)

9. phoebeq

phoebeq Senior Member+

I am in central CO and I am concerned with this as well. Our temps got to -24 a few weeks ago and they did fine. We also have a shelter where they can get out of the wind, so I am not extremely concerned. I just kind of feel bad, lol. It is going to be COLD tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night.

My advice to you? I would say if they have a shelter, they will be fine :)

10. trish12

trish12 Senior Member+

wow you guys are getting hit with some cold stuff !!! we are not getting that cold down here in my area !!!! I do not like that cold wind chill !!!!
    Hoping to be over with winter soon !!!!!