1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured $35 Kill Pen Save

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LoveJockeysYum, Nov 10, 2016.

1. LoveJockeysYum

LoveJockeysYum Senior Member

My boyfriend and I went to the notorious Kolona, Ia monthly sale. We got a number "just in case..." and walked around looking at all the pretty horses. My horses companion left and I thought MAYBE if we see something special... Ideally a pony, I'd snatch it up if it went for a decent price. Well, I only saw 2 non loose pen ponies. They went for $350 and $525!!! I'm like, holy! Riding horses all went for good prices.

Got bored of that and tried to go look at the loose pen horses. I had my baby with me though and shes teething and refused to let anyone else hold her, so I couldnt get in with the horses and ponies to get a better look or see if their even tame, couldnt tell a thing. And of course in the pony pen was about 20 ponies, and definitely two little studs who kept fighting and attacking all the others :( The big horse studs were separated from the other loose pen horses, Not sure why pony studs werent???

So we go sit and watch ponies go through.. Most went for $50-$125. I liked a few but hadnt worked up the nerve to raise my hand yet, lol. Even for a few who went with the kill buyer for $25 :cry: Then lil miss ran in, looking So terrified. Even more so than the rest. Theyre all run through chutes, not touched, but smacked with long white sticks, like canes?? No info given beyond "brown pony", none had info given. Boy? Girl?? who knows! It was hard to watch. They run them in, Auctioneer says theyre color and they're a pony or donk or horse, etc, then they run them out and THEN start bidding! It was so fast. Kill buyer bid on her, $25. I bid for $35... Had my hand up but nobody noticed me until the last second! Even as I'm waving my hand like HEYYYY! Kill buyer did not bid against me.

Went and paid for her, had to leave immediately before I was tempted to grab another!!! My farrier goes everymonth and he hauled for me. He pointed out her right eye had a spot, I didnt care.. Told her thats fine!! She's clearly halter broke, and a pony. All I was looking for!!! What would I do?? Have them run her back through??? NO. So got the paperwork(coggins state 7yr old Hackney pony mare)and loaded her up! Leads and loads like a champ, very sweet. Got her home, again no issues but very dark out and in the barn. Stalled her, gave hay and water. we'll see her in the am!!

pic that night.
    Pennyday1.jpg

to be continued....

DunsNPallys, Nu5ha, MtPack13 and 22 others like this.
  2. LoveJockeysYum

Next morning, bright and early, went to visit little miss who still had no name. In the morning light I could see her more clearly, and while otherwise healthy, she clearly has something wrong with her eyes.

Pennyday2.1.jpg

Killed me to see this. Not because I regret buying her, but that someone was so heartless as to dump her in the loose pen. Being attacked by horses she doesnt know and can barely see. Being run through the chutes and slapped with sticks by people. Ugh just hurts me so much to think about when she is so dang sweet.

Pennyday2.2.jpg

If you are quiet, but keep speaking to her, she is very calm and likes to stay by you. She is so trusting, yet so jumpy if she doesnt hear you and you touch her. She doesnt jump or kick or run away though. Just shakes.

Pennyday2.3.jpg

Unfortunately I couldnt stay long. fed and watered and pet her, and had to be on my way to work.

to be continued

3. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

She sounds like such a kind soul! Please keep us updated!

4. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

You changed her life :heartbeat:

5. LoveJockeysYum

Vet was just out, but by my assessment was that she is nearly totally blind in her left eye, has partial sight in her right. We'll see what her prognosis is. As long as she is not in pain, and we can help her navigate the fencing, I see no reason she cant live out her days here happily. He thinks she had an infection left untreated. Gave meds to save the right eye but the Left is too far gone. Really angers me she may now be permanently blind because her owner simply didnt have the vet out when she was hurt. He said you see this a lot from horses left with burrs in their mane/forelock. scratches their eyes.

But she is otherwise very happy and healthy!!! Took her out for a walk, she is so cute. Really likes contact on that lead rope, looking for direction. she likes to circle left and make sure to come find you.

She is quite stunningly beautiful!!! We all just adore her. For being dumped in the kill pen she is a nicely built little pony. I dont know hackneys though... Does that sound accurate??? any thoughts??

Pennyday3.1.jpg

Pennyday3.2.jpg

Pennyday3.3.jpg

Pennyday3.4.jpg

Pennyday3.5.jpg

Pennyday3.6.jpg

more coming!

6. LoveJockeysYum

Oh! And she has been named, Kill Pen Penny! aka.. Lucky Penny! Or just Penny.

Pennyday3.7.jpg

Pennyday3.8.jpg

Pennyday3.9.jpg
    Pennyday3.10.jpg

Pennyday3.11.jpg

And that is all so far :) Thanks for reading the novel!!!! we are accepting all the good jingles that her right eye retains sight.

7. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

She is an absolute DOLL. Thank you for giving her a safe place to land
    :)

8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Aw poor little girl. I can't wait to see her filled out and cared for.

So glad you gave her a chance for a happy life.

9. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

She is absolutely beautiful. Jingles for sight retention in one eye. I've ridden alongside many horses who were one-eyed, one of the best trail horses I have ever seen was completely missing one eye. That was actually his name lol. If that's the worse thing she has wrong that's not a big deal at all. I LOVE her color. She is just precious. This is an excellent reminder for me to stay far far away from horse auctions. I cannot resist the temptation. Congrats on your beautiful girl!

10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

She's very pretty and stylish! I can definitely see the Hackney. Jingles for her remaining eye and bless you for taking her. Your description of the scene just broke my heart. :(