1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

3 and half yr old mare refusing to trot amd canter

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by pip15, Mar 5, 2006.

1. pip15

pip15 Full Member

Hi have a 3 and half year old mare which I have had since October. She has been fine. I lunged, longreined her and she cracked that. Then I broke her to walk,trot and canter when ridden and she has been fine with that. Within the last 3 weeks she has been a moody mare. When I am riding her in walk she is fine. Then I ask her to trot her ears go flat back, head in the air and she tries and kicks out. It is a nightmare to get her going. Once I have got her going she keeps trying to stop. everytime I squeeze her on she throws her head up and just tries to nap and using the whip she ignores it. We had a new saddle that fits fine because we fault it was that but now I think it is something else. is it because it's coming into march and shes coming into season. She has had a few geldings on her or could it be something else. She was alright a little while ago pleae help!!!:confused:

2. Quick2Skip01

Quick2Skip01 Senior Member+

Maybe go back to lunging her, and longreins, and on the ground exercises. When she does all of this well, next time try to ride her. I would try to keep sessions short.

3. Gallop N Gal

Gallop N Gal Senior Member

It sounds like shes in heat. I agree with Quick2Skip just try lunging her and keep the sessions short.

4. Just_me

Just_me Senior Member+

Does the bit fit her correctly?Did you educate her with a crop?if she doesn`t know what the crop means she can`t do anything better.
    How long and how often do you ride her?Does she have a sensitive stomach?
    First of all I would make sure that she is not reacting out of pain,be it bit,teeth,saddle etc.
    Then go back to groundwork.Teach her to move of off pressure!If she got that you can go back to riding.
    When you actually get her to trot,release the squeezing with your legs immediatly and reward her.I would do walk trot transitions for now,until she goes into a trot without any issue.Just let her trot 2-3 strides and bring her right back down,that way she can`t stop cuz you`ll MAKE her stop b4 she can.That shows her that you are the boss!
    After she got that down you can do the whole thing in a canter.
    I also wouldn`t ride her to often.
    I would also not squeeze her the whole time you are riding cuz I`ve seen horses who get numb with time.At the end they just don`t respond anymore.Then the rider gets out the crop,soon that wound1t work anymore and then spurs and what are they going to take after the spurs?
    I always bring my horse to a full stop, tab with the crop,combined with leg aids and a clack all at the same time and then make it move forward.To actually get that, the horse has to know the meaning of a crop.This worked for me.

5. pip15

pip15 Full Member

I ride her about 3 to 4 times a week sessons lasting 20mins. When I lunge her sessons last about 5 to 10mins. I do use a crop when I squeeze her on and she puts her ears back and doesn't go forward I tend to give her a smack.She does it more when I squeeze her when you stop her ears don't go flat back but then she tries and stops so I squeeze she goes all funny and then I give her a smack is that where I'm going wrong?I was thinking about spurs but you don't think thats wise? She has never had her teeth trimmed so could it possibly be that?

6. Just_me

Just_me Senior Member+

7. PaintedPNH

PaintedPNH Senior Member+

Maybe she isnt physically capable of trotting and cantering yet. If they arent ready for something, they'll let you know.

8. Quick2Skip01

Quick2Skip01 Senior Member+

I had a 3 yr old mare last year who did the exact same thing. She was just having a temper tantrum. It maybe your horse's teeth, I would definitely have it checked out. My mare eventually got over it with time/work. I don't think you should go to spurs, she isn't ready for them, and if you accidentally poke her in the right spot, it might send her off, and make her buck. Just_me gave some great advice, that is exactly what I did with my mare.

9. kbreitfeld

kbreitfeld Full Member

i ride a 17 y/o dutch warmblood mare, that tends to do something similar when in heat (of course, she KNOWS she cant get away with it, but she tries atleast once) She is not mean or nasty at all while in heat, she just carries her head high like a freak, and pins her ears when i ask her to trot. Try using leg and whip together, it might get the point across alittle better.

and since i have no idea how much riding you have done i will throw this in....make sure you have the correct amount of contact. One of the young horses i ride is fine with contact, but when you ask for a trot or canter, i have to lighten my contact, put my hands forward, it encourages them to go.

10. Super_Trooper

Super_Trooper Senior Member+

Could be her heat cycle, tack fit, teeth, sore back? A few things.