2nd XC Schooling of my life

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 21, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

The last time I schooled cross country was in 2010 on an 8 month pregnant mare. Seeing how Henry and I have our first Derby next month we need some schooling. He has done way more cross country than me.
    Video - Lauren Baggett
    Pictures from last year (not me riding) he was pulled out of the pasture after not being ridden for a month and taken to a place he’s never been before and did great.
    1ED1F32A-3762-49B0-AE37-8227BEDD0952.jpeg 094EB6C4-99C5-4FEF-A3F7-12457FB577E6.jpeg

So now it was our turn to school! Went with a big group of seasoned horses and young girls and we stayed “home” to school.

9D80CBFE-8B83-42C8-9E75-5E1BBD33F328.jpeg

Henry and I are in the middle.

I wish we had more fun! I feel like I’m going feel like I got run over by a truck tomorrow. I kept saying today was the day I fall off of Henry. Even though it wasn’t. He was incredibly exuberant. Bucking fits after each little tiny jump. Not trying to get me off his back, but like, super fresh and full of himself. The first few times I did a one rein stop to get him under control. The rest of the time I urged him forward because I remembered that bucking is because they’re not forward. He was hardly wanting to trot to the jump evading my contact with head way in the air. He would rather walk the little jumps so I let him a few times.
    This wasn’t the most confidence building lesson for me. Everyone was impressed that I kept my seat even though we looked like this Tom Fray Equestrian Coaching Ltd most of the time.
    He actually felt more manageable at the canter when I let him canter. I kept only trying to trot because my trainer and I plan to trot the derby only because he has been very forward in the jump ring. When we were out in the field today he always came back to me, was able to relax on a loose rein while waiting our turn, he wasn’t wound up and acting nuts, he didn’t spook at anything, he didn’t refuse anything. So all these good things and i keep focusing on the bucking. Yeah well it wasn’t pleasant. I’m really hoping it’s just because he is fresh, LOVES to jump and was proud of himself.

Anecdotes from your experience schooling a greener horse XC?

2. Quarterhorse10

Quarterhorse10 Registered

Is Henry the one shaking his head?
    Pretty horses!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I believe he's the grey to the right of the bay in the red saddle pad, as you look at the photo.

4. Quarterhorse10

Quarterhorse10 Registered

Oh! I thought it was that one!

manesntails likes this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Lol, way back in the mists of time I got to ride a beautiful grey OTTB, called Solo. His owner wanted to see him. jumped across country, and like an idiot I agreed, given that I did not posses any talent, but at that age thought I was awesome....

Solo set off with enthusiasm, until he saw an obstacle in his way, then he slowed, slowed more, slowed more, and stopped. Seeing it was a baby fence just sat there and kicked and he hopped over......every fence the same....not sure what happened to him after that...

Hope you aren’t to stiff and sore after that, but sounds like there are a lot of positives there, not spooking, or refusing standing quietly, all big wins.

ginster likes this.
  6. CarlisleChipper

We went back out today and NO BUCKING!!!!
    We had a great dressage lesson yesterday too.
    My trainer went out with me on her horse and we did some canter and trot sets. That really helped to get him in front of my leg and confident. For the most part he was controllable but the bits here and there where I felt like he was a freight train unnerved me a bit toward the end. Especially going down hill. I apparently bury my hands down instead of holding them up and sitting back. Of course by the time we got to that part in the lesson Henry was literally chomping at the bit. We ended with a small cross rain and he was getting a little wound up and tossing his head so high in the air he almost hit me in the face. I’m sure that was my tension and not releasing at all when attempting to regulate him.

Today was really great to get our confidence up. Our 2nd ride together cross country. I hope we will settle into each other quickly out there in the field.

Our max speed was 12mph. I felt like he was a runaway (not really). That’s not really that fast in a car! But on a horse?
    9E7582BE-1E0B-4B93-A5D4-0980C2A640D0.jpeg 5148DFEC-343C-47A7-8F4D-E39DA2A34BC0.png

7. txgray

txgray Senior Member

Not sure if this helps at all with understanding your pace, but 12mph is around 320 meters per minute, so a little under cross country speed for beginner novice (which is usually 350mpm).

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  8. CarlisleChipper

It does help! Thank you! I haven’t learned about the speed yet and I have no idea how to calculate my speed either.

txgray and mooselady like this.
  9. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

I only started eventing a couple of years ago but I 100% understand the anxiety portion. My mare is an experienced ex-prelim horse and did NOT have the patience for my dinky little learning fences when I first started. She wanted to do everything at prelim speed and I preferred American hunters so it was a clash of "cultures" :ROFLMAO: All I can offer is that it DOES get better with time and lots of miles. Sure I still get anxious out there, but that's just the adrenaline edge and ultimately I do have a blast.

Stick with it, be patient and make sure you're having fun more than not... Otherwise, what's the point? ;):cheerleader:

ginster and CarlisleChipper like this.