2018 Weight Loss Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, Feb 4, 2018.

1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

This is good advice!

I am also telling myself I am NOT dieting. I am making a lifestyle change. No more eating the whole bag of cookies, I just eat 3. I still get cookies and am still loosing weight. Physical activity would do wonders for me, I just can't figure out how to fit it in right now!

endurgirl, mooselady and kodemiester like this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

My watch showed a peak in activity the other day.....me trying to get my half chaps zipped up, while wearing enough clothes not to freeze...I swear that should be an Olympic sport.

equinitis likes this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

4. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Can I join in this thread too? I'm not dieting to loose weight though. My issue is more the opposite. I have a very fast metabolism and I am very active - trying to workout at the gym, horse riding, lots of walking (most after the horses in a giant paddock on a hot day..) and I am about to become a full time teacher. So my focus is on staying healthy, eating enough to give me energy throughout the day, and maintaining a healthy weight. For me, that is 50-51 kilos. My biggest struggle is eating enough to keep me going - I want to do it without too much sugar or unhealthy food. I don't enjoy much sweet food anyway (but I do have a weakness for soft drink), and I do have food allergies/intolerances to work with too.

Right now because I am about to start teaching, and my husband is getting a lot more work around his studying, I am about to clean out the back freezer so I can do some healthy meal prep. One of our issues as a couple is we are both so busy we don't end up eating healthily - which costs us more money as well.

So I took photos of the frozen meals that appealed to us at the supermarket, and I am going to replicate some of those at home for a much cheaper price. I saw a really nice dhal with curried vegetables and rice, so that is going on the list. Shepherd's pie (although I may just cook the filling and mashed potatoes and not serve it in pie form), and some sort of ragu with pasta. Despite being the middle of summer I am in soup mood so I may do some soups too.

5. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

That's a great way to go Binca. Make it easier to eat healthier.

6. ZipAllied

ZipAllied Senior Member

Count me in! I'm trying to lose 10 lbs before my 50th Birthday on April 2. I really just want to try eating healthier and exercise more....much much more!!!
    My goal is to cut back on carbs and sugar---no sodas, cookies, etc. and increase my protein and veggie intake. And did I mention excercise more??!!
    Help keep me motivated. Please???!!!

mooselady likes this.
  7. EventerNic6187

EventerNic6187 Senior Member

I need to join this. I had lost so much weight and was almost at my goal weight. Then a whole lot of things happened. I met the boyfriend (which led to a lot more dining out than I would normally have done), just generally got off track with eating healthy and then the worst of it happened when my brother passed away unexpectedly. I haven't been the same since then and can hardly motivate myself to get out of bed most days, never mind eat a salad instead of comfort food.

I've been trying a one step at a time approach. I used to eat a lot of sweets, but have cut those out completely and only allow myself to have a chobani flip every now and then if I want something sweet. It satisfies my cravings without all the fat and calories. I also try not to eat pasta or bread. I've been able to nearly eliminate bread aside from an occasional burger bun, but pasta has been a little more difficult. I have it once a week or two, but I'd like to eliminate it completely. I may try buying a bunch of lean cuisine meals and eating those for a few days. I found that last time, starting off with pre-portioned meals helped me with portion control. Many times it's not that what I'm eating is unhealthy, its just that I eat too much of it.

I really need to start exercising more. I've had a hard time motivating myself to push past the after work exhaustion but I'm struggling. I have been doing a lot of heavy landscaping in my yard on weekends though, and have seen increased muscle tone from that. I can also zip my riding boots now! They're tight, but they zip. I told myself that once I can comfortably fit into them with breeches, I'm going to start riding again.

mooselady, hamerface, Binca and 2 others like this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Update time!! How is everyone doing?

I've lost 10.8 pounds, I can tel a small difference in the way my shirts/ scrubs fit. Still low carbing it, haven't cheated!!!

9. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I finally weighed myself for the first time since I started my diet, and I didn't like the number I saw, but I do feel and look better (and I'm sure the number was higher at the start of the year...). I definitely think I look better, my clothes are fitting better, and I even had to tighten the chin strap on my riding helmet today by quite a bit, which means my chin must be less fat now :oops::D

I honestly feel awesome. I have felt so satisfied, and not hungry at all sticking with keto and within my calorie range. I have more energy, I never feel bloated, and I feel like I have better mental clarity. I've also been drinking lots of water and tea, and I can feel if I am dehydrated, which I had a problem with in the past (I could go an entire day with minimal water and just not notice). Most days I've been under my calorie limit and am still very content.

I am going to try some 16/8 intermittent fasting tomorrow and Thursday and see how it feels. I was reading how people have had a lot of success with IF paired with keto.

I just feel like what I'm doing now is sustainable, and something I will really be able to stick with. I have kept up workouts, but I am finding that I need a good 2 days to recover, which I do attribute to the lack of carbs/glycogen stores.

Good job sticking with it everyone!!!

Binca and endurgirl like this.
  10. ZipAllied

ZipAllied Senior Member

No weight loss yet but so far I have been sticking to the healthier eating plan. Exercise has been a little harder because we have had so much rain (I like to walk) but I have tried a couple of exercise videos that I like so far.

Binca likes this.