2018 Weight Loss Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, Feb 4, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Thought we'd make a new thread for the new year. We can share successes, failures, progress, and share and critique recipes.

I'm doing the keto diet, started Jan 29th, which is carb restriction to 20 grams or less, and makes your body burn fat as an energy source (ketosis), the protein and fat grams vary according to your height. My macros are 120g protein, 82g fat, 20g carb. I'm not a big meat eater, so I have a hard time meeting my protein goals. I want to lose a lot of weight, lol, down 9 lbs so far, goal is to be 160-170 lbs, whichever I'm happy with how I look and feel. :) I'm tracking my food intake on My Fitness Pal, which I recommend for anyone trying to lose weight, it holds you accountable and really opens your eyes to how much you're really eating.

So, how about you?

ibsammy and Bakkir like this.
  2. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member

In 2017, I lost all my progress due to health issues.

My goal for 2018 is to get back where I was before. This time around, I'm not focusing on the scale so much, but I'm doing weekly measurements instead.

I'm getting married in September and I'd like to just be at where I was in early 2017. It's a easily attainable goal; just have focus on eating well and keeping my excercise up.
    I'm currently 207lb, which doesn't make me happy, but so far, I've lost 3.5" off my hips, 5" off my waist and 2" off my bust.

I'd like to fit back into my 32 jeans again by next September.

My friend is doing Keto right now and she loves it. Keep up the great work!!

Bakkir and endurgirl like this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I'm using the lose it app. Lost 11 pounds so far. Keeping track of calories and exercise...gluten, soy, and mostly corn free...but I will eat a corn tortilla. Lots of veggies and lean meats.

I have been using cauliflower rice, which is pretty good when spruced up like "fried rice"...coconut aminos instead of soy/tamari.

Here is a good recipe I've used a few times and love. Trader Joe's ginger miso broth...mince garlic and ginger and add to container of broth and bring to a low boil. I also add crushed red pepper. Cut up all kinds of veggies...whatever you like...I use a carrot, celery green onion, bok choy, snow peas. I add the veggies at the end because i like them crunchy, but you can cook longer if you like. When I am ready to serve, I add some roasted chicken (use whatever seasoning you like...I have been using penzeys Singapore or Bangkok blends on boneless/ skinless chicken breasts and thighs. Can also make cauliflower rice with it and serve broth and veggies over it.
    Trader Joe's also has a good low calorie, low carb green goddess dressing in the refrigerated section which is basically raw. They have a carrot one I Want to try next time. TJs also has tzatziki sauce and guilt free guacamole that I have been using that are delicious...lower calorie and lower carb.
    Here is a good recipe and website with tons of free content and recipes. More Asian inspired flavors. Paleo Collard Green Chicken Avocado Rolls | IHeartUmami.com

Another thing I have been doing is roasting lots of veggies. Not sure if it's me to, but I roast (450f) eggplant, squash, zucchini and then layer with a little cheese and a little tomato sauce, put back in the oven and serve with spaghetti squash. Another thing I love is Cooked ground turkey or chicken (i dont eat beef or pork, but I'm sure it would be good too) and add a few tbsp.of roasted red pepper spread (trader Joe's) and a little tomato paste, Worcestershire, and siracha with garlic, spices (use whatever. I like 33rd and galena and cajun or jerk from penzeys) and stuff different colored peppers and scooped out squash and zucchini with it. Bake with a little cheese on top. So good.
    Breakfast...make frittata either in muffin tins or casserole dish with tons of veggies, eggs and cheese. I make this so I can have breakfast ready.

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Free styling Keto here! At the moment just got rid of all grains, sugar, starchy veggies, living on meat/fish and green (ish) veggies. Probably going to take it more seriously during Lent.

I have lost maybe 5 pounds in a couple of weeks - I say maybe because my scales tend to take a best ‘guess’ attitude to life, rather than being a precision instrument. I have so much to lose I don’t want to even think about it, so just taking it 5 pounds at a time....

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I am going to put a grid on a piece of paper with the amount of boxes in pubs I want to lose and put an x in the box for every pound I want to lose, that'll give me a visual of how my work is paying off. :)

mooselady likes this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I'm not on any diet. Just walking and working with my horse. Picking up frozen poop is a great arm workout.

Since Sept I have lost 27 lbs. My goal is another 15 lbs.

endurgirl and mooselady like this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

See when I was doing Medifast a few years back, they said 1000 calories, 100g of carbs, 72g protein and 10 to 34g of fat...they claimed that would put you in to ketosis, and I sure burned fat like it was working...20g carbs, net I take it, Just seems scarily low!

Bakkir likes this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Wow, that's very unhealthy. Keto states at least 60g of fat for gall bladder health. Calories vary according to weight, I think mine are 1370, short people can be under a thousand, which people want to argue isn't healthy. They aren't educated in the keto, just know what they learned. I remember in college in my nutrition class, the recommended daily intake was 55% carbs. Insane.

No one has yet been able to name an essential carbohydrate. :p

mygirl1197 and mooselady like this.
  9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

FYI for Canadians. The gov is giving out up to $2500 in grant money for weight loss. They will pay 80% of your fitness program/gym memberships if you have 20 lbs or more to loose.

Weight Loss Grants Program

FaeriesFaith and mooselady like this.
  10. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I've been doing time restricted dieting... though right now, I'm on the stomach bug diet. :/