2018 isn't looking so good.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cschattner, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Thanks guys--I can't complain too much, I have a good letter of recommendation, two good references, a solid history of doing anything asked, and....ten weeks of severance pay!

If it wasn't for pesky health insurance, I'd take a few weeks off to play with my ponies and be a stay at home mom.

Oh well, such is life.

2. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Probably not something you want to hear right now, but I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason". In 2016, I was laid off from a job where I had been just shy of 5 years. It was a bit of a shock, but it gave me the kick in the butt I need to start my own business. Now I get to pick my own hours, choose my clients and I'm much happier in general. At the time, my lay off seemed like the worst thing ever... but if it hadn't happened, I probably wouldn't have made the jump into self employment.

Something good is coming your way!

3. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I meet with the VA center already to start getting my stuff together for school.

phantomhorse13, ginster and Jim_in_PA like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yikes to both of you. It's uphill at this point though. ;)

5. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I had to get my dd214's and thankfully the system was not down so I was able to get them. I just had to stay late last night.
    I filed my taxes so I will be getting a little back to live on.
    My first sergeant is looking to see if there are any programs to get help with the furnace. Probably not.
    I just have to make it till spring, hopefully I will have a job again and can save for the new furnace before winter hits again.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I got the job I interviewed for today. Old job was $14hr, new one is $16hr with a 4 month probationary period. After the 4 months it goes up to $16.75.
    12 hour shifts 4 days a week
    Overtime after 40
    Holiday pay
    Paid time off
    1 floating holiday
    Health insurance (I don't need it, I have my own)

This is enough to handle while I start school. I just have to find a dog sitter for when I start the 12 hour shifts. Killian is good for 8 but I don't want him in a crate that long.

I got a very good review of my interview. The hiring manager said I was very professional, and my attire was refreshing to see since most people don't dress professionally for the interview.

I think this will be a good job and possibly a stepping stone into a decent position.

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations!! You sure dealt with that fast and found the opportunity in the adversity. :) Well done.

phantomhorse13 and cschattner like this.
  8. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Hoping for the best!!

My year started crummy too.
    Weve been planning our dream wedding on a cruise ship for months. We left 1/28, wedding was 1/29.
    On 1/20 we found out my husbands youngest sister was in a fatal car accident. They couldn’t get everything together before we left so we had that on our minds the whole trip. And the day before we left my 13 year old cat I’ve had since I was 15 got sick. Took him to the vet and had to leave him there. Pet sitter txt me Thursday saying he was finally able to come home.
    We get back Sunday and he’s just so happy to see us. Acts like his normal self.
    I took Monday off and he was inseparable from me. I thought it was because he missed me.
    Tuesday morning we leave for his sisters funeral. I come home later that day to my dead kitty. Had to bury both on the same day.
    Talk about a double whammy.....

I spent last weekend making his site pretty. It’s helped me get some closure. But not a day goes by where I don’t find myself crying a little bit over him.
    This year HAS to get better, right?

Attached Files:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

My year was good, so far, but today hubby's bp is below 80 and he refuses to go to the hospital.

Absolutely will not go.

I've got barn work to do(with a broken thumb), it can't wait any longer.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Wow, how horrible. For your sake, I hope it gets much better.

Ok guys, I just had the third big bad thing happen today. Should be looking up from here, right?

Alsosusieq2 and ~tiffy~ like this.