2018 isn't looking so good.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cschattner, Feb 9, 2018.

1. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

We will start with the good news.

I got off orders the beginning of January and was released back to work on light duty by the military.

I returned home with a start date to go back to my job. I had a week to get settled back home with my dog and cat.
    I even got the back of the house torn apart and the new floor in.

We will start with the house before we get to the work problem.

The deal with me staying in this house is that I repair the damage to the house. The damage was caused by a roof leak that was allowed to fester. They replaced the roof but didn't repair the inside of the house.
    The back of the house got the worst. The ceiling collapsed and the wet insulation was left on the floor. It rotted the floor and water pooled there as well. It rotted the subfloor and the floor joists rotted completely through.
    I fell through the floor twice just removing the subfloor. I managed to get through that and removed the joists. Unfortunately the moor I removed the more damage was found. I ended up removing and replacing the sill plate on the back of the house. Removed the ceiling completely and the electrical was seriously hazardous. A 1 hour rewire and Install of 4 can lights turned into 4 hours of hunting down a bad wire.
    Removed wires with staples and nails through them, wires to nowhere that where improperly ended and just crazy attempts at getting electricity somewhere.
    Brought that within reason. The back of the house is practically a new place.

Now the job part.
    First week was horrible. Ankle was swollen and painful. Back ached from the repetative motion.
    Second week was better.
    3rd week was like normal even got to go back into another department. Then it all ended.
    Monday the company decided to consolidate the factory to there other factory in Europe. They fired everyone including the office staff. I loved this job, I was hoping to stay for a long time.
    I had an interview yesterday. 2 more on Monday and I submitted an application to the department of corrections. I also meet with the veterans services to see about school.

Oh and my furnace died. Just to add insult to injury.
    I'm sure everything will be fine but dang it 2018.

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Today, I was let go from a company where I worked for nearly 11 years. Apparently is was due to restructuring the business.

2018 sucks. I loved my job. Not sure where to even go from here....

Good luck on your job search/interviews.

3. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I'm sorry, that's just horrible.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I'm sorry you both lost your jobs. Really a shame in both cases.

5. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I'm sure we will both make it

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Yikes. Sending jingles to you both.
    Jeez, Cschattner, you just can't get a break.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

On the bright side, you've already had your three bad lucks in a row so you now have three good lucks headed your way~!!
    Jingling for you guys~!!

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oof. I am sorry you both lost your jobs...all the best for future job interviews!
    And @cschattner : please be careful with the wwork on the house. You've just recovered from a bad accident...

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Ugg...I feel for you on all accounts. You, too, Faster'. Chins up! Quite often things like this present interesting opportunities, too.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Jeez, not a great start to the year...sending jingles to all.