2017 Level 1 Championships West

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by VermilionStrife, Mar 24, 2017.

1. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I think I read this correctly, I hope it read it correctly, no one who is a Level1 exhibitor has to qualify for the Level1 Championship show? Just show is your Level1 classes that you are qualified for, no more the sometimes complicated confusing rules. Wonder why it came to this.

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

To compete at the Level 1 Champ show you DO have to qualify, unless you are showing ONLY in the Rookie classes. Qualification is to place in the Top 10 at a Regional show, or show under 20 judges within the time period, or state qualify through your state affiliate.

3. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Actually, it literally just changed. I just saw it on FB and went to the AQHA website to confirm. No more qualifying necessary. Heck, they didn't require it even this year as I received an invitation and never even showed AQHA.
    AQHA: AQHA Invites All Level 1 and Rookie Eligible Exhibitors

bobo and horses likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

So sorry.... I hope he will be Ok soon.

VermilionStrife likes this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Just heard about the change at the barn.

I think they changed it because the numbers were down this year. Though not sure if many didn't go because they didn't qualify, though I know a few worked around the rules to get in this year. One lied to say a horse was too lame to show, when actually they had problems with the person they were leasing from. Another showed halter the last day of the year to state qualify. I know some that were showing to make sure they nationally qualified and now probably aren't happy they worked so hard early in the year to get their shows in.

Bnttyra, were you a member of your affiliate at least? I know Arizona in the past didn't make you show in order to state qualify they just filled their slots. That's how Susie Johns' sons qualified in 2013. Another friend looked it up since she lives there too and works some of the shows.

6. bwahorses

bwahorses Full Member

Read a fewFB comments about the rule/ qualifying for Championships. Many cited it being difficult to get qualified due to lack availability shows in area,without travelling 8plus hours. Also many mentioned the spring show make is harder for people in northern states & also us in Canada, due to poor travel conditions to get there.....

LoveTrail likes this.
  7. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I live in NW Montana and put my horse under lights. He was shed out just fine for the show. I also travelled over 8 hours to get to Region One and qualified easily without spending thousands.

8. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Nope, haven't been a Arizona club member in several years now. There used to be a Southeastern Arizona Club but they don't have any shows in our area. They only have the one they sponsor and it is literally 3 hours from me, not even in southeast Arizona.

Hitting enough shows around here to qualify was an issue. We have the one in Sonoita and pretty much that is it. We would have to go to Sun Circuit, and some others that are held at West World in Scottsdale or to Las Cruzes, NM. Either way it is about 3-4 hours away.

9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Wait, you do cows right? I heard in Vegas they and over fences people didn't have to qualify, but that AQHA didn't make that clear. Wonder if they invited people that showed in those classes in maybe the last year or two?

I forgot about Canada. I think only one barn from Canada showed in Vegas this year.

Some of my friends their horses are in the pasture over the winter when they can't ride, not in a stall under lights. Don't know if they even have electricity in their barns. Stalling them doesn't work anyway if they can't ride, better to have them outside moving around.

I remember one South Dakota youth last year was bummed about how she did at our Wyoming AQHA show in May. Found out she only just started being able to ride the week before. Told her that's a lot to expect against youths that ride all winter before the show. She is one that could have done well in the Championships shows if they had them still in October or even in July.

The shows really aren't cheap if you add in a trainer that hauls your horse, then you can be talking about $1k to $1.5k hauling fees alone for most people that show in Vegas with a trainer. Most trainers charge from $1 to $1.50 a mile.

10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Yep...I just saw that on the AQHA website....