1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

2015 Show Goals

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by QHshowmanship, Jan 22, 2015.

1. QHshowmanship

QHshowmanship Senior Member

With a new season ahead of us all what are your goals for the 2015 show season? Planning on qualifying for something specific, planning a new event, planning on showing a greenie...please share!

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Hope to get April trained and hit a couple AQHA futurities this fall. Only managed to get about 20-30 inconsistent rides on her last year. I am moving her to a barn on Feb 1st to get a earlier start on her since I don't have an indoor.

4 people like this.
  3. Muppetgirl

Muppetgirl Senior Member

Well, I'm awaiting my new reining saddle and might enter some WD classes, basic and intro. I also have my new English saddle so might enter some dressage classes and maybe a few low level teeny tiny jumping classes. It's all somewhat new to my horse (jumping in particular) so might just play it by ear and maybe get to one or two events and see how he does. No pressure right? Haha!

3 people like this.
  4. ryder98

ryder98 Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]These little ladies want to hit a few local shows, and my goal for the mare is to get my butt in her saddle for a few open shows too ... we have been doing in hand for the last year at shows ... she gets really flustered with other horses being in the arena with her ... one of the nice things about my barn is that there is only one or two horses ever in the arena with us, but I guess that made Sky ill prepared to handle 40 horses sharing a ring with her .... lol ... this fall in lessons we found a really nice relaxed jog in "traffic".... lol .... Now we need some show ring mileage ... Looking forward to year 3 with the same coach!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
    7 people like this.
  5. maggiesmom

maggiesmom Senior Member

My showing goal for 2015 is just to get there! I am going to several small local shows and that will be an accomplishment in itself. It's all about raising the bar and personal achievement for myself and my horse each time.

4 people like this.
  6. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Oof...I'm going to be SUPER busy. I want to get Maddie working nicely at the lope (more collection and slower), less attitude with our trail patterns (rearing and throwing a fit is generally looked down upon by the judges and not appreciated by the rider), and to actually practice our SMS. Last year I never once practiced SMS and we won almost every show we entered, including a buckle at one show. I'm planning on going to an open APHA/Appy show and I don't want to be embarrassed (although just going to meet up with some old friends from my old boarding stable who live 8 hours away).

I would like to get Luna and Chili started under saddle. Chili I'm not too worried about since she is hopefully a future barrel horse and I'm in NO hurry to get her more than very lightly started under saddle, but Luna is hopefully my next all-around horse/reining horse and I would like to possibly even take her to a show or two under saddle (just two greenie classes: pleasure and trail, along with halter) if she does well. If not, no biggie...there's always next year.

I will continue to learn how to run barrels on my trusty old (*new to me*) barrel horse, AJ, and attend as many barrel races as we can around my showing schedule. And finally, I will also be showing my coming yearling this summer in the local shows. I don't think I'll be doing any eating or sitting on show weekends!!! This will be my last year showing a yearling for a long time, I think.

ETA: I will also be helping a 4H'er with Aspergers (mild form of autism) with her horse project. She has been in horseless horse for several years since her family doesn't have a horse, and this year I'm letting her borrow Dream to show, and will be helping her/teaching her everything she needs to know to do well. I love helping this girl and even though my time is precious, volunteering to help her out makes it SO worthwhile.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    6 people like this.
  7. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

I don't know if it would be for 2015 or 2016 but both my daughter and I are going to try and qualify for the AQHA Novice Championships 2016. The qualifying period starts July 1st so we have a few months to work on things and fine tune them. We will probably hit the Sonoita AQHA show in May as a practice one and the start hitting as many as we can to qualify.

Plus my daughter is continuing her 4H showing and this year we are hoping for her to win the state JR SMS, reining, western riding, and at least qualify in the trail. I know she can win the SMS as she was 2nd last year and would have done very well in the reining if she had not have dropped a rein. Plus she wants to be the Cochise County High Point winner at the county horse show, another goal I think she can easily reach if she puts forth a little effort.

Oh, and I am hoping to get Diamond to a few shows this spring in halter type classes and then maybe hit a few walk/trot ones in the Fall after she has been started.

I thought I would share this photo of my daughter and Nikki from the county show last year.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
    10 people like this.
  8. wilburtoby

wilburtoby Senior Member

Hmmmm- with 2015 here... So will my first foal, ever :) My mare is due in May. Hopefully after weaning i can send her to training for a quick boot camp and hit up the AQHA nov championship show in TN in October to do the Showmanship. If funds/health arent available, i will have to wait until next year to get back into the show ring. I am hoping to do the Longe Line with my new yearling at the Nov Championship show if the foal is nice enough in 2016. Big expectations, and foal isnt even born yet! :help!:

So im also trying to beg my friends with AQHA horses that will let me catch ride in the open classes here and there. I plan on going to the shows to watch and take pics of my friends and like i said, maybe catch a ride in the HUS or WP or what ever i can !

3 people like this.
  9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

you may want to check to make sure you don't lose your Amateur status if you do that.

2 people like this.
  10. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

So you already qualified for the AQHA Novice Championships? Was it hard to do and how did you do it, via state points, # of shows, or qualify at a regional? I am just trying to figure out the best way for us and right now it looks to be by #of shows or judges with a back up plan of qualifying via our state club.