20 Month Old Filly

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Thelittlebaymare, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelittlebaymare

Thelittlebaymare Registered

She sadly was undernourished as a young foal, as the owners didn't care, and her mother became pregnant again right after her. We got her from a person who had rescued her and her brother (the mother died before they could get to them) that had taken her to get looked at by a vet and farrier. So her growth was somewhat stunted.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

The horse is in extremely poor condition. It's not possible to critique an animal when it's in this condition.

The body condition is extremely poor. The feet need attention.

This is no time to be critiquing her condition.

Please get a veterinarian involved. Horse needs fecal tests for parasites and needs her teeth done. She looks like she's been malnourished for a long time. She also looks like her feet were neglected for a long time. She'll need very careful frequent trims of her hooves to get them back in shape.

3. Thelittlebaymare

She's getting much better, those pictures were day of arrival. She was a rescue, and they could only take so much hoof off without hurting her. She also had lice when these photos were taken. She was over 1 1/2 when she first got proper care.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I was gonna say her coat looks like licey but I figured everyone here would have a fit at me for sayin' that.

You said she's better, I still say - she needs fecal tests and treatment for parasites, her teeth done, the whole 9 yards. Has she had any of that done?

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Here is my opinion on the matter.

The horse needs to be seen by a vet now, not after foaling season, show season and so on. Find one that will come out. There are veterinarians you can call who will see the horse. Have the teeth done. Have fecal tests done. Get the horse vaccinated. Check the horse's heart, vision and lungs. Have the hooves evaluated for damage.

I'm done. Don't want to discuss it any more.

6. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Are you sure on age? For reference my colt was born May 2016. And I'm 5'11

Huge size difference
    IMG_20170302_174902.jpg

7. Thelittlebaymare

We're sure, we may be a month or so off at the most but not by much. Her growth was sadly stunted, as she was a rescue. She had a brother by the same parents who was almost 8 months, so she couldn't be any younger.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

While she looks very immature for her age, I can tell by the length of her tail that she is at least coming two.
    I really really hope that she is not pregnant. Is there any chance that the stud that bred her mother was allowed to breed this filly? Or perhaps an older sibling?

I would worm her imeadiately with equimax. I would also start her on some MSM her knees look a bit enlarged. I hope you have her on a good feeding program now.

9. Thelittlebaymare

She is feed well, and I believe there is no chance. Her brother hadn't droppped yet and I don't think the stud got to her, or was even with her anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.