2 weeks in the wilderness!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by equinitis, Sep 14, 2018.

1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I got to take some vacation and my husband and I spent 2 weeks in the White Mountain Wilderness of NM. We were there all by ourselves for 1 whole week, it was bliss, then 3 of our grown kids and 2 grands were there the 2nd week. More bliss!

1st driving lesson at 7 months old. (No, he is not wearing a wig. lol)
    Itty bitty strawberries and raspberries everywhere this year.
    Father and daughter time. She is the mother of the 2 grands that were there. She has not been able to ride for several years other than a quick turn around the pasture once in a while. She was in heaven! I cannot remember the last time she was with us here, it was at least 5 years ago.
    2nd to the oldest son. He lives in Denver and makes this trip every year he can. His wife was not able to come this time and she was missed.
    He brings his own horse, an OTTB he trained. Scout did really well on the trails and in camp. He even learned to eat from a nose bag. There was no learning curve, he shoved his nose in the bag, took it to the ground and that was that.
    Khassie is only 3. She was fascinated with the apple trees that are pretty prolific and every time she got to ride, she wanted to pick an apple to eat. Sara was very good with her.
    Mother and daughter. Khassie is a ham for the camera! My FIL gave Sara to our daughter when she was about 9. Sara took good care of her and is now taking good care of her daughter.
    Middle daughter on Lucky. She doesn't like to ride Lucky because she wants him and her father won't give him to her. lol She has a young horse that was just not ready for this trip.
    Mountains make for tired kiddos! My husband was beyond thrilled when of the kids fell asleep in his lap. They both did several times.
    Scout did really well on the trails when it was just 2 of us and when all of us went together. He doesn't care where he is in the group and is very brave. These little yellow mushrooms really got to him though. The only thing he really balked at the whole week!
    Some of our magnificent views!
    Khassie making a hand and learning to put the nose bags on.
    Riding in the rain. Mayson was surprisingly good at giving the kiddos a ride.
    Can you see the family resemblance?
    More beautiful country.
    Mountain dogs deluxe.
    More next post!

SEAmom, mooselady, tlwidener and 11 others like this.
  2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Through the ears!
    My husband adopted these 2 folks from the Houston area. It was their first time there, she is a barrel racer and he is pretty much a non-rider. She rode with us to the top one day and when her husband saw her pictures decided he would try it. We put him on Sara, who took really good care of him, and he made the trip with us 2 days! His wife was so excited for him to ride with her and he was so pleased with Sara, he decided he needs a mule so he can ride more with his wife. The last picture is going up the last little bit of Turkey Canyon. It is steep and rocky right at the top. This is on the way there. You can just see a nose poking out the trailer bars. It was like watching a game of whack a mole all the way there and all the way back. 4 noses in and out, in and out.

It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back. We saw so much wildlife and even had deer and elk right in camp. It was green and healthy looking and was much needed food for my soul.
    I took a lot of videos again but have not taken the time to upload them so I can share them. I came back to work the 10th and it was my duty week so I have not had a lot of time to lay this week.
    Thanks for looking!
    Over the shoulder! lol

SEAmom, mooselady, tlwidener and 11 others like this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

So gorgeous!!
    That first pic-how cute is he?

Alsosusieq2 and equinitis like this.
  4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I know, right? He is such a good baby and loves to have his hair brushed!

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

He looks like a little cherub!

Alsosusieq2 and equinitis like this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

That sounds like the life!!

ginster, equinitis and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. magoo320mj

magoo320mj Senior Member

Great pics!! I SO want to do a pack trip one of these years. :heartbeat:

equinitis likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Beautiful photos and country, that lil one is a photogenic babe-!!

I love your Appys, what's not to like with them. Gorgeous. ;)

equinitis likes this.