2 months??

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by mygurlDestiny, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slc

slc Senior Member

Be careful of how judgmental you get of rescues, RG. Things aren't always as they seem. For one thing, just about every rescue has at least SOME enemies. Horse people are not always nice. People might go around 'talking smack' about a rescue for many different reasons. A gal round here bad mouthed one just because the gal had gotten a few 'up down' lessons away from her twenty years before.

Yes, some rescues are bad. But not all. And some go through management changes and get cleaned up, too. There's a couple around here that are good, a couple that are bad, and a couple where the owner is...well....kind of not 100% believable, makes the horses seem like they're better trained and more beginner friendly than they really are, but isn't exactly 'totally dishonest', and the horses are not show groomed but are healthy and their feet and teeth are done.

Also....trying to make money isn't really that evil. Even rescues have to stay afloat and people need to be paid something. So be careful of what you believe.

And often, the rescue isn't going to share all the details of the horse's issues. So the story may not 'hang together' based on what you know, but they may not be able to tell you more.

As an example, someone may have donated a vicious horse to the rescue with the request to try to have their trainer retrain him, and if that doesn't work, please euthanize him rather than see him go to some novice who could get very badly hurt. The rescue may have agreed to keep the problem quiet so the previous owner isn't gossiped about too much (the horse world is full of gossip, be very careful what you believe). It's very, very common for people to not tell others what's really going on, to save the previous owner some humiliation, and to ease the horse out of the previous home.

Especially if you seem judgmental or suspicious, they won't tell you, "The vet gave Daisy's fracture only a ten per cent chance of healing with mild or no pain or disability. He told us to be fair to the animal, it's best if we euthanize her."

So always keep in mind, you may not even have 10% of the story. Don't judge. Always remember that a horse YOU think is 'perfectly fine' may have a really serious problem and the only real choice may be to euthanize the horse.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    manesntails likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Better yet, don't buy from “Rescues“. You want to own a horse? Buy one, and, if you aren't well schooled enough yourself to judge horseflesh, take someone with you who's been buying and selling horses their whole life.

Horsemen don't need to garner kudos by calling themself a rescue. A horseman buys a good horse with potential, does the horse right, by feeding, Vetting, and training it up then selling it to a buyer that is the right fit for that horse. They don't need, nor do they want to rely on garnering your sympathies in order to make a sale. They choose good horses in bad situations, fix them, sell them, and thereby make money for the next horse.

They already have internal self worth and don't need it to be pumped up externally by calling themself a “Rescue“ .

The problem is that buyers are thinking these horses are being “saved“ ONLY BY “Rescues“. Nay, horsemen get the ones worth saving. Rescues don't know what's worth saving and HAVE to lie to you to dump their bad choices onto someone so they have income.

Not every horse is worth saving. You go to the pound for s dog and all the ones with health or temperment problems have been euthanized so you only see the adoptable ones. Not so with horse rescues. They are replete with horses that are just not adoptable. Oh yeah, they get lucky from time to time and get some decent horses, but mostly, at rescues where the owner is independent, the horses are not good, useful animals.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I hate to say it to burst people's bubbles but it's fairly true. Rarely are you going to find a diamond in the rough. The odds of running across a Snowman are a trillion to one. You have to understand about that happy ending, is that it was a trainer that saw him and recognised strong potential. I don't know what the odds are, but I think you'd be lucky to find a good riding horse with decent conformation. They usually sell, not wind up in trouble. It happens though, oddly enough, but it's darn rare.

D_BaldStockings and manesntails like this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

The OP is not buying this horse, or even considering it. . . Did you read the thread. . ?
    I know you love this little rant, but it seems really out of place here.

mygurlDestiny and Saph like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If you, or anyone else, has an issue with My or anyone else's post, report it. Don't bother the discussion with your own personal targeted vendettas.

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

[QUOTE="manesntails, post: 8101498, member: 43205" Don't bother the discussion with your own personal targeted vendettas.[/QUOTE]
    Manes, this appears to be exactly what YOU are doing.
    I have no real opinion towards the op, other than she gives the impression of having it out for this particular rescue, justifiably so or not I can't tell. We only have heard side of the story, and it is woefully incomplete.
    But ranting on about not buying from rescues does seem out of place, because op stated multiple times she isn't buying the horse.

7. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Slc where did I come across as judgemental?
    I'm the one who is seeing the positive in rescues,but if there is a rescue that "sells"a horse for 2000 $ that is a red flag in my opinion.
    I wanted to make sure the OP doesn't make an assumption without facts,thus I listed what she needs to look out for before she puts a rescue down.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

First of all, recognize that SOME of my comments are directed at you, but the rest - all that doesn't start with the letters, RG, in this case(pretty slobby, but that is in fact what I had in mind), are directed at the OP.

Sorry if that's not clear enough.

It MAY be a red flag, MAYBE, but requires investigation. If the horse is worth that or a little more in the market, the rescue has to make enough money to feed horses, pay rent, pay utilities, repair fence, make building repairs, pay insurance, pay for bedding, pay for vet care, and pay for the costs of picking up horses and transporting them - gas, vehicles, maintenance, insurance. They have a right, indeed an obligation to the other horses and to people counting on them to be there FOR horses, to keep the rescue going and functioning. That means paying a LOT of bills.

Again, you come across as judgmental. That's one example of how you come across as judgmental. A rescue is STILL a business and STILL needs to pay expenses.

And yes, in fact, if someone running the rescue is spending 60 hours a week running herself ragged working, and is effective, that person deserves to be paid something. That person also has to eat and pay the rent.

No matter what tax status/designation a business has, 'rescue' does NOT equal throwing money away, nobody ever gets paid ANYTHING and horses are sold for far less than they're worth! Have you ever run any kind of business? 'Rescue' does NOT equal 'manna falls from heaven, so throw money away'.

There is NO obligation as a 501 type organization, moral or otherwise, to not sell a horse for 2k! If that's a fair price and the horse is fairly and honestly represented, so be it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Dona Worry likes this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Rescuing, rehabilitating, and retraining horses facing neglect or abuse and provide them with the best opportunity for a permanent home and a lifetime of safety. | Save a Forgotten Equine (SAFE)

This is a rescue group in our area that works with Animal Control, They work with the community trainers to foster and get many of the horses trained so that can get a new home. Some of these trainers are National/World level trainers. You will notice that many have an adoption fee.... but the Adoption fee is far less then the cost to rehabilitate and train these horses.

The website has many before and after pictures, Bios of Available horses, and financials.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  10. mygurlDestiny

mygurlDestiny Full Member

wow guys this totally turned exactly where i said not to turn it :rofl::rolleyez: all i asked was if yall thought this horse looked like she was gaining proper weight. Yall are correct, no i do not like this rescue, for my own reasons. I am just a person worried about a good horse ive followed and has been neglected, i want to make sure she does get the care she needs. Like i have stated, i cannot rescue her but until she leaves the hands of the people i know I cannot trust I want to keep tabs on her. and like ive said, i have rescued horses and just thought their recovery has went much smoother than this one so i reached out to other horse people to try and see what your opinions are. I love how yall can just start ranting about anything you see even if there is only one question to be answered. :no:

D_BaldStockings and manesntails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.