2 months??

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by mygurlDestiny, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mygurlDestiny

mygurlDestiny Full Member

IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG So no nasty comments I just want to know your opinion. This horse was rescued and this is the day the rescue got her and a little over 2 months of having her. I have heard many horrible things about this rescue from people who know the people that run it and volunteers. For reasons I'm not going to say I will not get involved with the rescue but I just want to know what y'all think if this looks like a legit "transformation" Bottom picture is Janurary 14 Top is April 2.

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The horse has definitely gained weight. It can take a year to get horses back up after starvation. It takes a lot of good nutrition and exercise to rebuild a muscle wasted top line.

D_BaldStockings and CoffeeBean like this.
  3. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

She's definitely filled out and looks both happier and healthier. Like Kristal said, putting on weight can take quite a bit of time in some cases.

D_BaldStockings and CoffeeBean like this.
  4. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

It starts from within so it's good that there isn't an overly dramatic change. I'd ask if they had blood drawn at intake and since then to monitor the situation (and progress).

5. mygurlDestiny

Blood was drawn. She had absolutely no problems just not enough food/hay.

6. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Hmm. That concerns me a bit. I would continue to monitor her. Hopefully the grass coming in will improve her overall condition.

7. mygurlDestiny

That's what I said.. rescue said she eats and eats and eats so when I saw the picture it just seemed like something didn't add up.. just gonna keep watching I guess

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I would guess that this horse has gained approx 100lbs. The weight gain it has had is good weight that is in the form of muscle on her neck and top line. That is about a 1.5 lb per day which is a very good track. If she reaches a plateau and stops gaining then she probably will need a higher fat feed. Having horses gain weight to fast is actually counterproductive and causes a whole new set of health problems.

If the vet said her blood work is normal, this is great news, now that she is getting food she should continue to Improve. It appears from these two photos she is in a clean, dry, healthy environment with a shelter, it is reported that she has had vet care, her feet appear to be trimmed, and she is making good progress on her weight. There are good rescues and bad rescues. This place appears to be doing “right” by this horse at this time…

9. mygurlDestiny

Good! Just happy to hear this seems normal.. I helped at my old barn and my trainer would take in horses and they just seemed to improve much quicker than what I'm seeing with her, I just wanted to see others opinions. I've been told by a close friend that the woman that runs the rescue sells horses she doesn't want to take in to slaughter and have asked about horses that I know she rescued and she couldn't account for them. I personally know this horse so I just want to keep tabs and make sure she has smooth sailing! Thank you!! These comments make me feel much better!

10. mygurlDestiny

This is another picture I've got of her from early March

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.