1991 Merhow Trailer Advice

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by CarlisleChipper, Aug 9, 2018.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

*HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE*

Came to pick it up today and they said it would take an hour and a half to detail it and inspect it. So I wait with both kids in the store. Then they tell me that they need another 3 hours to do an axel check and other things with the bearings. They claimed to have replaced light bulbs and light wires. I hook it up to the truck and it tells me that the right lamp has a fault. When we connected the wires to my truck one of them fell out and the guy said "oh that's nothing." He also said that they finished servicing the trailer 30 minutes after I left. Then I asked for some documentation about what was done on the trailer and what was inspected or replaced and they said they'd go in and print it. But they come in and tell me that they need to check the brakes again. After the salesman told me that there ws 65% left on the brakes. After a while they come and tell me THERE IS NO WIRING FOR THE BRAKES. If I didn't insist and ask questions I would have been on the road with zero trailer brakes. I've never driven a trailer before and I've got my kids with me isn't that great? Plus the salesman trying to talk me out of buying it because I'm too weak to lift the ramp up, but they're willing to install a winch for $150-200 when they sell them at tractor supply for $30. So now I don't get my trailer today. They said they'll deliver it to me. But who knows when. Waste of my day. I asked what the hell were y'all doing when you sent me home for 3 hours. NOTHING

I am not impressed with D&D trailers. Not at all. I don't feel safe. Especially after reading some of these comments. I have half a mind to report them to the better business bureau. I understand I'm buying a very old and used trailer but I don't think it's too much to ask that they only let safe trailers drive off the lot. If it's not safe it should have a list of things wrong with it. I've been told several conflicting things today by that business. If they can't make it right I'm going to get my money back. In fact it already sounds like I should and forget that trailer.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. CarlisleChipper

They're going to refund my money. Back to trailer hunting.

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

This is the absolutely best ending to that chapter in trailer buying.

4. CarlisleChipper

I dodged a bullet for sure!!!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. CarlisleChipper

This is the one I got instead! 1988 Turnbow. Great condition, solid. cheaper too! Screenshot_20180812-124019.jpg

Alsosusieq2 and bobo and horses like this.
  6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

This one certainly sounds better. And, is that a cute awning I see?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. CarlisleChipper