150 Arabians Seized in MD

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by FancyASB, Apr 30, 2011.

1. FancyASB

FancyASB Senior Member+

2. CLOUDNINE

CLOUDNINE Senior Member+

It's amazing to read the article, and then go and look at the website! Good Lord! What a difference!! Just goes to show you what not to trust from a website- and that appearances can be deceiving :( Glad the horses were seized, but wonder what will happen to them once they are healthy again :( If the owner fell on hard times (6 months ago!) and the horses were worth so much, why not hold a dispersal auction?? They've had several in my area in the past 5 years! MD should not be that different.... UGH! More poor souls needing help....

3. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

It never ceases to amaze me that people like this somehow must be justifying their actions. Obviously others must see this long before action is taken, yet don't speak up. maybe our laws are just not strong enough, or at least the enforcement doesn't seem to be.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Wow, Can't feed 'em? Start selling them for cheap. At least then they would have a chance of getting fed~!! :no:

1 person likes this.
  5. ArabianFanatic

ArabianFanatic Senior Member

6. analise

analise Senior Member

Yep, several organizations besides Days End and HSUS (I think those are the only two mentioned in that article) have been involved with this effort, including Gentle Giants. Here are some more article links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ryland-breeder/2011/04/29/AFMgr8GF_story.html
    http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/mar...alnourished-horses-rescued-in-maryland-042911
    Those two have videos.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/p...horse_rescue_centreville_maryland_042911.html

And here's what Christine (the president of GG) posted about the effort:

[​IMG]

Thinnest girl:
    [​IMG]

One with a tumor that will be examined this week:
    [​IMG]

Another cutie:
    [​IMG]

7. Silver Georgia

Silver Georgia Senior Member+

Wow... As much as I love my two and hope to be their forever home, if I couldn't afford to feed them, I would definitely sell them to a loving person that could... If you really love your animal then all you want to do is what's best for them, even if it's not with you... I'm really worried about that grey. Keep us posted please!

8. windblown

windblown Senior Member

I think this is a very sad situation & hope it gets sorted out (I don't believe all that the rescues are saying...I've heard some things that really make me go hmmmm). The bloodlines of these horses are priceless, and Marsha was one of the most knowledgeable breeders of Polish Arabians in the USA. She worked very closely with the Polish government, too, and I believe a large Polish Arabian breeding organization is now stepping in & investigating this matter. These horses do NOT deserve to indiscriminately lose their papers and be gelded!

Horse rescues scare me. I've just heard too many stories that concern me any time a seizure this large occurs.

I reserve judgement on everyone involved. My thoughts are simply with the horses & that they are able to be cared well now and for the rest of their lives. The Arabian horse industry is very actively involved in this case, and it's always amazing to see the response from it.

3 people like this.
  9. CLOUDNINE

CLOUDNINE Senior Member+

If the breeder was so well known, why didn't they have a dispersal sale? These horses were supposedly very valuable, so they should have had a market somewhere! If I knew I couldn't afford to feed my horses properly, I would be contacting any/all of the horse auction houses to arrange a well advertised dispersal. I would never have them starve to death! There are humane ways of dealing with the ones that were not sellable- and it's not starvation!

2 people like this.
  10. windblown

windblown Senior Member

There's simply no argument that Marsha was well known. The news flew through the Arabian industry in a hurry once it was released, even at several major shows. The general reaction was "Wait, this is THE Marsha Parkinson!?" She'd had a dispersal sale listed online for sometime (on the largest Arabian horse website/forum), but did not have an auction. I'm not sure if she sold any through the sale or not, though. Odds are she should have taken action sooner, but that's moot now.

Anybody know the ages of the horses pictured above? The chestnut used in most articles is a 34 year old mare (the one they're calling "Jellybean" is actually *Candela) who, I believe, had her own pasture (thick with grass, nonetheless) behind Marsha's house.

2 people like this.