13 children abused and starved

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, Jan 23, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I haven't seen anything on here.

But this just haunts me. I think about these poor children every day. Every day when i see my child running around enjoying life, eating candy, laughing.

Those poor children. What horrors they survived. Are there more who didn't survive? How could anyone treat their children like this?

Parents accused of torturing 13 kids dreamed of reality show

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

It's truly a very sad and horrifying case, for sure. Even moreso when you consider many of those "kids" were actually adults, but starved to the point of appearing to be young kids. I'm glad that 17 yo was able to harness enough bravery to break free and call the authorities.

Binca and ginster like this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I think the last was obsessed with small children and wanted to keep her older kids child- like, hence why s 29 year old only weighed 82 pounds.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

It's about to get a whole lot worse. Cadaver dogs going to the property.

How WILL the kids be?

I'm not trying to minimize what the parents did to them, but there is every chance they will be quite well. With loving care these kids may actually do very well.

I'm betting their lives will be somewhat restricted, by their own preference, and they probably will want to continue spending time with each other. They do appear to have a very strong bond to each other.

The 'wolf pack' kids, another family of kids who were similarly isolated, still spend a lot of time with each other. Their favorite thing - movies. They like watching movies. Together. Just like they did in that tiny apartment.

In other words they aren't all going out and doing all the things many people would want or expect them to do, but they are happy doing familiar things they're used to doing.

It appears some of the kids have intellectual deficits. I'm not so sure, frankly, this might be about lack of exposure to the world rather than an actual neurological deficit. The 2 year old baby appeared healthy and in far better condition than the others, probably due to being nursed. That's the key period - and - ah - the mother seems quite well nourished....(yeah that is infuriating...) so I'm guessing that period of the kid's life they weren't so malnourished.

So, if a child is malnourished AFTER that period, they usually are quite smart, in fact, but their size can be really incredibly small. The basic development of the brain MAY be protected if the child is nursed to age 2.

If malnourished after that the body will sacrifice height rather than taken anything away from the brain (or so it seems).

In fact, I was able to see 3 generations of people in India - the mother and father, 4'9''. The oldest son, 5'8''. The youngest son, who got the most food as a little kid, and for a much longer period of time, from 2 right through to adulthood, 6'2''. All were nursed well til 2, it's after 2 that the nutrition problems usually start.

The brother of Mr. Turpin has a position in an evangelistic church near where I live, I forget what his job is. He's on leave at the moment. It does appear that there is a 'religious component' to Mr. Turpin's....'belief system.' The couples' parents immediately commented that they were 'led by God' to have many children.

I'm going to guess that the families of both are both 'very religious.' In one way or another.

Ironically, many of these 'imprisonment' parents appear to have an untreated mental disorder, but not a severe mental illness.

I know that may be very hard to accept. But I think it's true.

When their thinking patterns and behavior are examined, to me, it sounds like many of them have something called 'Delusional Disorder' which leads to extreme beliefs, quite often bizarre religious beliefs, extremes of behavior....but.....

The thing is this.

Most of the time, they are not 'out of touch with reality' to the degree a really psychotic person is. Many of them, at least for a time, hold down a job, buy a home, are intimate with a partner, plan activities, go shopping, have some ambitious plan, and most importantly, are very secretive because they realize many people would be horrified at what they're doing.

It is precisely their LACK of severe mental illness that allows them to 'succeed' at hiding this 'inner world' and to, at least for a time, hold down a job, buy property, etc.

Generally, they aren't 'out of touch with reality', not like a really psychotic person is.

But their thinking is not normal. And their thinking is especially abnormal in one part of their lives.

A really severely mentally ill person with no treatment, will walk up to me(a total stranger) and say, 'I'm Jesus! I have to tell you all about this!' Or walk up to a policeman and shout, 'I died on the cross!', slug the cop and wind up in jail.

A Dave Turpin....no. You won't get nothin' out of a guy like that. He'll usually be charming, manipulative, but he won't tell you, 'I chain my children up!' unless he's seen that you do too.

A few of them are going to eventually progress into a much more psychotic illness, like schizophrenia. Many of them will remain at the same 'level' of disturbance their entire lives.

It's common for people with DD to believe a wife is cheating on them or that there is some other conspiracy afoot. But they still hold down a job, present an 'acceptable' face to the world, keep their really strange things secret, and are very 'successful' at manipulating people and maintaining their 'world.'

My guess would be that about 2-3% of the population has 'Delusional Disorder,' most being undiagnosed and untreated, and that it is relatively rare that one of them sets up and maintains an incredibly complex and elaborate 'inner world' like this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Did you see where David actually took Louise out of school when she was only 16, he was 24, and basically promised her the world. I think he may have young girl issues also.

Tack Collector likes this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I am deeply suspicious as to who the mother of that 2yo actually is.

Ms_Pigeon, ginster and Arem like this.
  7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I'm a member of a Turpin discussion group on Facebook. If you're interested, search exactly that and you should find it. Quite haunting. There's is a theory that Jordan, which is the daughter that the creeper sexually abused, is the mother of tbe younfest child. Im not 100% on board with that theory though.

Also, it seems like there are children missing. If you follow the ages, most children only have an age gap of MAYBE 2 years. There is a 10yr gap right in the middle, why? This woman seems to have an obsession with babies and being pregnant, then tossing the child aside when they become "boring," and that 10yr gap doesn't seem to make sense.

endurgirl likes this.
  8. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I also think Louise is the mastermind behind it and David goes along and funds it. He's very submissive and awkward and she is very upfront and "loud," if you will. I bet she calls the shots.

9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Well it was said that he worked and she ran the "concentration camp", if you will...

Just every aspect of it horrified me. From laying apple pies out to let the kids smell but not eat, to the dogs left to eat poopy diapers to survive in their last home, to making the kids march for hours through the night.

They deserve the exact same treatment, no showers, one rationed meal a day, and living in their own feces.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I read on another forum that they are DNA testing the kids. . . At this point I'd be surprised if at least the 2yo belonged to that awful woman. . . Maybe more than one.
    The younger kids belonging to the daughter explains the gap...