1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured 11 month pregnant mare questions

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by aqhlifelily, Feb 25, 2017.

1. aqhlifelily

aqhlifelily Full Member

So my mare is maiden and is 345 days pregnant, she had showed signs of labor about a week ago, and I think she lost her mucous plug, and now she has lost her bag and isn't showing any signs. The area around her tail is super soft like jello-y, her stomach isn't huge and it seems normal, but it seems to have dropped some. Her back bone is more prominent and her ribs are starting to show when she breathes in, (I've never been able to see either). So my question is how long do you think she has?
    Disclaimer- I am 100% positive she is pregnant! And I know she hasn't aborted!(y)

OfHorsesAndFlies and daystar88 like this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

What color was the mucus plug?
    I was 100% sure mine was going into labor a few times, once she turned out to have an infected placenta, which is a dangerous condition that needs your vet, and the other times she was just cranky and uncomfortable and wanted baby to stop wiggling around in there!

I am not experienced enough to give any info beyond that, but I will say this thread should have lots of photos.

3. daystar88

daystar88 Registered

Why hello there Lily. :D

4. aqhlifelily

aqhlifelily Full Member

Hey :ROFLMAO:

daystar88 likes this.
  5. aqhlifelily

aqhlifelily Full Member

I didn't see the plug it's self but I saw remains around her "area" it was a yellow kind of chalky consistency.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

It is normal for mares to lose their mucus plug up to 3 weeks before foaling.
    It is normal especially for a maiden for her bag to go up and down throughout the day as they start to bag up.
    She is well with-in the normal window of foaling but may not foal until 365 days.
    Mares often look uncomfortable as they start to position the foal moving them into the diving position and their belly will change from wide to low.
    Each mare follows their own pattern. A good percentage will wax before foaling but not all. I watch the vulva and find that to be one of the best indicators, it will get very long relaxed and puffy with a dark red color inside right before foaling.

7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

This is more likely urine residue. Being so full of baby, they tend to urinate more frequently. The plug is more like blood tinged mucus.

daystar88 likes this.
  8. daystar88

daystar88 Registered

I didn't know that! I was told they usually lose it within 48 hours of foaling but I guess not! Just learned something new.

9. aqhlifelily

aqhlifelily Full Member

Her vulva has been swollen and relaxed since yesterday. She also bagged up quickly. Her belly has dropped to a more v shape and the muscles around her tail head are super relaxed and she can't pull her tail down when I lift it.

daystar88 likes this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I hope you have a way to take and post pictures as soon as the baby shows up!